Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

sunfire woes

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mostwanted, Mar 30, 2007.

1. mostwanted

mostwanted 1/2 ton status

So I was doing a tuneup and brakes on my wifes car this morning. I replaced the brakes, changed the oil and filters, and attempted to change the spark plugs. All went fine all the way down to the last spark plug. The old one came out fine, but as soon as I tried to screw in my new premium plugs the dam#n alumnum threads in the head stripped out.:mad::mad: So I guess I am going to have to remove the head, drill and insert heli coils. Any suggestions?

2. vortec

vortec 1/2 ton status

maybe find a larger plug with the same heat range, etc. and retap the hole for it. it's cheaper than the helicoil, and i've seen too many helicoils back out with the fastener or break, especially with parts that aren't meant to remain tightened for long periods of time, so i'm not really a fan. i don't know how often you pull your plugs, but i change my coppers about every 20K miles and pull them periodically to read them. i wouldn't trust a helicoil for my uses. my 2 cents.

3. Currank5

Currank5 1/2 ton status

www.timesert.com I asked a similar question not to long ago and another CK5 member turned me on to these. The kit is pricey but i'm sure i'll use it again, and the inserts themselves are cheap.