Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Sunken Blazer-transmission question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by destinbeachman, Apr 26, 2007.

1. destinbeachman

destinbeachman 1/2 ton status

Yeah,sunk the truck pretty good-everythings back together including some upgrades to the engine while I had it apart.Now for the tranny.I understand(correct me if I am wrong,oh tranny gurus)that there is no way,short of cutting it apart,to get all the water out of the TC.Is that right?Should I take this opportunity to replace it?And if so,would I be advised to go with a higher stall speed to help get my big wheels moving?My setup is a '70 Blazer,454 with a beefy build(eagle bottom end,older closed chamber heads with the big valves and port work,Lunati 6203 cam,RPM Airgap and MSD)built TH350,203/205,one tons)and the reason I ask this is because I'm going to some much bigger meats this winter.47s,most likely.So I'm thinking a higher stall speed would give me a little advantage with the big rollers.Maybe just about 1800 or 1900 rpm.Any suggestions?-Allen

2. rcamacho

rcamacho 1/2 ton status

The stall speed should be matched to your cam profile. I'd pull the spec sheet from Lunati and put the stall speed toward the bottom of the range. The disadvantage is less low speed finesse and of course higher heat output. Some high speed converters also have a sudden lockup, so it's a judgement call.

3. destinbeachman

destinbeachman 1/2 ton status

bump-anyone else have any input?

4. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

They make a tap and plug kit for converters. They come with a drill bit, tap, and plug. It is the only way to completely drain one, and IMO it still may have to be done more than once to get all the water out. You just drill a hole the lower most part of the converter, tap the hole, drain the tranny, and install the plug. Used to see them allot when trans shops did it to properly change the trans fluid and filter.