Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

SUNROOF

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by DMK, Jul 11, 2000.

1. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

Previous owner had this installed, it leaks were the glass seals could not find a seal. Anyone know were to get an seal or a good fix. If nothing else I will end up sealing it up with silicone. thanks for any help. also thought about repalcing it with a new one has anyone done this before, seems pretty straight forward.

2. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

Run a bead of clear silicone rubber around the seal, cover with layer of wax paper then close window on it. Let dry at least 24 hours, then remove window and peel wax paper off. This should make a new seal for you. You may have to do this twice. And in the worst scenerio, run the bead and smooth it out with your hand and let dry without the window in place. Once dry replace window.

3. Udy

Udy Registered Member

Before you try that, try spraying clear silicone (parts store) on a rag, then wiping down the gasket. Carefull not to get any on the paint. It seems to stay with the paint. Can cause problems down the road with future paint jobs. Good luck. Warning, this may cause the previous fix not to adhear.

4. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

Silicone spray, although a good water repellant, will not return the rubber seal back to its original resilent form. You have two choices, replace it with another new seal or build up the sealing surface. I have dual sun roofs on mine that I got from the salvage yard and both seals would leak. New ones could not be had. So I built up the sealing edges in the same fashion outlined in the previous post and for 2 years now I have had no leak.

5. Eric78K5

Eric78K5 1/2 ton status

I agree with Eagle. I had a Chevy Monza with an aftermarket sunroof, and couldn't find a replacement seal. I used the same trick Eagle outlined, and it lasted me through 3 yrs of High School, and 4 hurricanes!

6. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

Thanks Eagle going to try this out this weekend.

7. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

You are more then welcome my friend...Good Luck