Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Super charged engine experiance ????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by yellowK20, Sep 23, 2003.

1. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I just trade my dually /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif for a 6-71 weiand supercharger kit for a BBC /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif and two 500 cfm edelbrock carbs with the fuel lines and linkage it came with 4 different sets of pulleys to vary the boost it's suppose to be a "Street" set up what I was looking for was on what needs to be done to run a blower and would it fit under the stock hood of of a 69 K-10 with a 2" body lift Or would I need to have a cowl hood also I realize I'm probaly asking the wrong group of guys but I figured I'd ask /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

2. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

First off that is awesome, I like blowers! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Well I would start by tearing your big block down and totally rebuild it with forged BLOWER LOW COMP. pistons, forged crank, and probably some good billet rods. A roller cam if you can afford it because they are nice to have over flat tappet cams. Some good Aftermarket heads or a serious port and polish job(that can get pricy though)would really help that motor breath because it is going to use a LOT of air. You will not be able to keep that beast under the hood unless you have like an outlaw 6" cowl or something but even then it would be close. You will have to cut the hood /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif . That is not a real good idea in a truck because of the dirt,mud, and sand that flies all over the hood. Change the filters often and get the hilborn style scoop because it has a screen on it instead of the street style or butterfly style. Sounds like you will have some serious HP, hope you have 1ton or 3/4ton stuff! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Have fun with that motor.

3. yellowK20

Thanks for the reply It's going in A 1/2 ton long bed with a 4" suspension lift and 35" mtr's with a 4-speed and a rockwell 221 t-case with 4.10 gears it won't be fourwheeled at all (that's what I say now) it's gonna be a street pickup primarily for crusing the strip on saturday nights and car shows maybe the occasinal sand drags the block I'm using is a gm parts 502 block with a nodular iron 8.1 crank with the block .030 it makes it a 540 I don't have the rods or piston or anything else for that matter /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif I also have a bone stock 454 out of a 78 GMC motor home that I could use which might be better suited for this project I also have a set of highly ported LS6 heads with stainless valves and rollerrockers and triple valve springs that would be kool to use on this project /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

4. rjfguitar

Sounds good! I would probably build a nice motor out of that 454 and put it in your truck that way nothing is sticking out the hood and doesn't use as much gas. I LOVE muscle cars and would buy a classic chevelle or something, build that 540 with the blower and cruise that! Are those the late model aluminum LS6 heads? if they are they are out of question because they are for a small block.

5. yellowK20

sorry LS-6 of a 70 chevelle 454 I guess having a blower through the hood would be cool but I just wanted it to look stock from the outside

6. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

I have built a bunch of blower engines. Most of what you are looking for really depends on what you want it to do. If you are going for MAX power than some of what RF said is needed. But if you are going for the look and some performance gains, you won't have to go to those major extremes. I built a 400 sb with cast crank, stock rods, trw 7.5 pistons and late model heads. And it ran 11.80's in a stock monte SS! I would not go crazy porting heads. REMEMBER that you are compressing the air/fuel and if you port out the heads you increase the volume and space needed to fill. and in turn it will be harder to build the pressure to build power. A rollor cam would be nice, but not needed. You will get better performance WITH one. I put a 8-71 on a basically crate stock 502 with 15lbs of boost and ran 9.75 in a steel body, untubbed 70 1/2 camaro. I would HIGHLY reccommend a good ignition system WITH a boost retard system. I have always used MSD, but more personel preferance.

I guess to fill you in better, you need to be Honest with what you are really looking for in a supercharged engine.

I love blowers! I think they look awesome. I ahve even used some of those little 4-71 style street chargers. Had one in one of my blazers. but I hated running a carb off road, and none of the aftermarket E.F.I systems (at the time) could be calibrated for +psi. so I went EFI BBC and sold the small block stuff.

7. yellowK20

I want maximum "street" power meaning I want to run 93 octane gas and not have this bitch get hot on me in traffic I want a 250mile road trip reliable engine MSD all the way both my "play trucks " have full msd ignition I'd like to see 6000 rpm out of this motor on occasion. looks are secondary I I'd like to shoe horn this under the stock hood by using a 2" bodylift maybe a goodmark cowl hood

8. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

To do it right first get rid of the iron crank.for a 540 you will need 4.500 bore with a 4.25 stroke crank.get a 4340 non twist forging Crank, a good set of rods and blower pistons (dished)unless you plan on running all out a good set of oval port heads will be fine. to make any serious boost you will need a bigger blower, at least a 8-71 for a 540 inch motor. a good blower cam with a lot of duration,a good free flowing exhaust.a good ignition system.I have a 540 and love it. I have a merlin 3 race block,merlin pro stock heads,Crower crank,Carillo rods,Je pistons,crane roller cam,crane pro lifters,12-71 mooneyham blower,Enderle injection,msd 20 amp pro magneto.

9. yellowK20

pics show me some picks I wanna se your setup /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    .I have a 540 and love it. I have a merlin 3 race block,merlin pro stock heads,Crower crank,Carillo rods,Je pistons,crane roller cam,crane pro lifters,12-71 mooneyham blower,Enderle injection,msd 20 amp pro magneto.

[/ QUOTE ]

How much money did it take to build it?

As for what bablazer 73 said, you could go with a mildly built big block with the blower but I would definantly spend the extra $$$ and build that motor to make some serious power because why waste those cubes and blower if your not going to use their full potential. Just my Honest opinion. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

If you haven't already, i would suggest reading this book cover to cover. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    [​IMG]

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

mudjunkie 82- PICS!? Have you dyno'd that engine or got some times with it in your truck? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. mudjunkie 82

Never did total it up.took a couple of years to get it all together. if you are looking for good deals check out this web site-racingjunk.com.I figure what ever it cost it is worth it.had some pics of it.will borrow a camera and get some more

13. Sidepipes

Sidepipes 1/2 ton status

Drove one a couple of weeks ago. A guy I know let me drive his 75 vette 468BBC, 340cc dart heads and an 8-71 blower, dual 850 DP's and a Tremec 5 speed.

The desktop dyno numbers were around 925HP and with this guy I'm sure he was super conservative. The car drove like a dream, very docile when you were gentle on the throttle but a raging demon when you were on the gas. I broke the tires loose @ 50MPH at only 1/2 throttle. I truly found out why shift lights were invented, there was no time to look at the tach.

Congrats on getting the blower, now get the engine built and have some fun.

14. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    sorry LS-6 of a 70 chevelle 454

[/ QUOTE ]
    Thats what I figured, but wanted to make sure. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif And where did you find those heads, I think they are getting rare!

15. yellowK20

Dad-mart he actually gave me the whole engine out of his Chevelle when he built his 540 I used the bottom end in my yellow pickup with a another set of rectangle port heads that already had hardened seats installed that I bought from my boss . I was gonna use the LS-6 heads on my 540 project but someone told me that the blocks are different and that you can't use old heads on the newer block /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif which kinda halted the project cuz I can't afford the new heads I want/need /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif ..... So do guys think a 6-71 isn't enough blower for a 540 ???? do you think it would be better to build up the other 454 I have and use the LS-6 heads ?????? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

16. yellowK20

Thanks I think I can get that at the hastings in town is it pretty informative???

17. mudjunkie 82

Check out the kuhl supercharger web site. a 6-71 on a 540 is only good for 5# of boost.Also I think the heads you have are closed chamber.These shroud the valves and restrict flow.Check your casting numbers on mortec.com this site will have all the info you need.Unless you plan to build a all out drag motor a good set of oval port open chamber heads will be fine.remember you are forcing the mix into the cylinder instead of drawing it in.

18. yellowK20

I'think that would work what if you overdrive the blower would you get more boost??? well i think I'll do the 454 anyways LS-6 heads are open chamber I think maybe I'll put a stroker kit in it and make it a 496 /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif with a 6-71 blower that would be pretty wicked /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

19. mudjunkie 82

a 496 blown would be a killer motor. you could really overdrive the blower and get the boost.496" with 10# boost would put a smile on your face!give Kuhl superchargers a call or really any of the blower shops could tell you what you need...Bds,hampton,mooneyham any of them.also your right on the heads, Those will work great!!!!!!!!! With a 6-71 on 496 you should get 10# boost.

20. yellowK20

HP ?????? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif