Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Super Expensive disc conversions...

Discussion in 'Other Rides' started by sled_dog, Aug 11, 2005.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Why is it that front disc conversions are so super expensive? Dad's 69 Bird has drums up front, I want to convert it to disc but the damn kits are all around $750+ for basically stock components. Wtf is so great about these kits that they feel they can charge so damn much? I mean I could likely get all the stock parts for half that(haven't REALLY looked into that but I'd bet on it).

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Its pissing me off too . Way too expensive

I can use my friends 70's stuff and be forced into offset crosshafts for the upper control arms , and modify a few things .

I really wanted the bolt onto the drum spindle disc kit so it all bolts together , but sure as hell can't afford it this year :(

3. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

When you say "bird" what are you refering to? Chevy or Chrysler? If chrysler I can help you out. I did a Wilwood conversion to my Duster and was not happy with it. Should have gone SSBC in the aftermarket world. I know what you need to do a factory conversion on the A,B and E bodies of the Mopars. Have some of the stuff sitting in my garage.

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

sorry, Firebird, so neither :p: its a Pontiac, AFAIK the Novas of the early 70s had the same front subframe so the disc components should swap right over.

5. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

You want to convert your dad's '69 bird to 4 wheel discs? If you're really interested, I can see what I can do for a Wilwood kit for you. I can probably get it to you cheaper than they would sell it to you.

6. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

Hi Alan!

Here's a page that describes all of the donor cars for front disc swapping, and a lot of other info.

click

Hopefully, you can find all of these parts. I did my 69 camaro the hard way, scrounging around for boneyard parts, but this was before anyone even sold kits. My dad bought master power kits for his 68 camaro and 66 chevelle - not cheap, but everything was new. Looking back at the time I spent finding parts, the kit really was more cost effective.

Tom