Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Super Heavy Duty D60 & 14bolt diff cover...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ak bandit, Oct 21, 2004.

1. ak bandit

ak bandit 1/2 ton status

2. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

30lb dif cover really necessary?

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I have one of his front diff covers and if you saw how nice and beefy it was, I doubt you'd ask questions.

I'm seriously considering selling it before I even install it though, low on cash at the moment.

It's a 1/2" thick.

4. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

I understand its nice... but is 1/2 inch thick really necessary?

[ QUOTE ]
    I have one of his front diff covers and if you saw how nice and beefy it was, I doubt you'd ask questions.

I'm seriously considering selling it before I even install it though, low on cash at the moment.

It's a 1/2" thick.

[/ QUOTE ]

5. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]

It's a 1/2" thick.

[/ QUOTE ]How Much /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

6. B_to_C

B_to_C 1/2 ton status Author

Mine for my 14 bolt is in the mail right now /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

I have been looking at those chunks of steel and wondering if you might have any cooling issues with such a thick cover. The guy said it holds a quart more than stock but do you guys think thats enough? I know how hot these diffs can get sometimes and 1/2" is pretty damn thick. I like em beefy for not a whole lot of cash.

8. Stomper

Stomper ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ GMOTM Winner

I've got both the d60 and 14b versions and the only thing that is 1/2" is the ring.....the rest is 1/4"

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I have been looking at those chunks of steel and wondering if you might have any cooling issues with such a thick cover. The guy said it holds a quart more than stock but do you guys think thats enough? I know how hot these diffs can get sometimes and 1/2" is pretty damn thick. I like em beefy for not a whole lot of cash.

[/ QUOTE ]

Steel is a conductor no matter how thick it is. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

A diff in an off road rig isn't going to fail from overheating.

10. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

...those things are bad ass... I want one for my 60 and my 70!

11. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

WOW, now thats a diff cover! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Diffs dont run that hot. Weld some cooling fins on it if you want.

12. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

It's a 1/2" thick.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

friggin' ridiculous. Why in hell it needs to be 1/2" thick is beyond me. Might as well hang a big ass battering ram from the front end. DEAD WEIGHT.

13. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

It's a 1/2" thick.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

friggin' ridiculous. Why in hell it needs to be 1/2" thick is beyond me. Might as well hang a big ass battering ram from the front end. DEAD WEIGHT.

[/ QUOTE ]

A Dana 60 weighs 550 lbs. It's hardly dead weight. In fact, I'd be glad it's so thick if I was going to weld my hydro ram to it.

14. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

What does the weight of the cover have to do with the weight of the axle? You lost me on that one. IMO there is armor and then there is just plain over built. Beyond a certain thickness your just wasting your time and hard earned cash and for what. More weight to drag around.

With mounting the ram, I hear eventually the ram will shift the cover and start it to leaking. That's just what i've been told. I wouldn't go that route but that's me.

15. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I've been looking at those for awhile but if I buy one I'll have more in the cover than my whole axle.

16. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

Just FYI, my cover from him is not close to 30 lbs, more like 10-15 at most.

17. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

Yea but think about it, if that cover is 1/2" thick and it only costs $100 bucks and it is well made it doesnt really matter it is a awesome deal compared to say a BTF cover which costs more and is not as thick.
    I do agree that mounting the ram on the cover is a bad idea /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    My.02

18. micah

micah 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Diffs dont run that hot. Weld some cooling fins on it if you want.

[/ QUOTE ]

everyone knows that's why steel isn't supposed to be used for diff covers... aluminum with fins is the only way to go baby /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

19. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

I've got a 14bff and a D60 set on my axles. Word of Warning though, The cover comes in contact with my oversized tierod in the stock location. A little grinding should fix this though.

20. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    What does the weight of the cover have to do with the weight of the axle? You lost me on that one.

[/ QUOTE ]

The axle weighs 550# as it is, who cares if you add 30 lbs to it?

I agree, it's pretty thick, and probably overkill. It's NOT 30 lbs, as tyler said, and they're bad ass and beefy.

Your product is every bit as beefy. I'll definitely be going with yours for my 14 bolt after seeing jjlaughner's.