Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Super LIft 8 or 12 inch??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bigblue86, Jan 11, 2002.

1. bigblue86

bigblue86 Registered Member

I am trying to deside what size lift I want and want to know if there is any draw backs on a 8 or 12 inch lift.. I have a 6 inch BDS and have 38's I want to run 42 and I was told I need a 12 inch lift,Is this true? I have a 3 inch body also. Do i need the whole kit since i have the arm and drag link? I know I need 4 springs and 4 shocks and break lines.

2. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Personaly, you have enough lift ! BUST OUT THE SAWZALL ! Ive seen 40's on only 4" of lift. It decrease wear, is cheaper, keeps COG down, and uses better springs 9" and big trimming should do it.

1978 K20 - 355ci, np205, th400, D44, 14F, 7" of Lift, 36 x 14.5 TSL Radial

3. PAVEVENT SUCKS

PAVEVENT SUCKS Registered Member

i also have a 6in bds,3inch body runnin 38.5 tsl.had to trim fenders id run the 12 the bigger the better

First aid kit is a roll of duct tape & a bud light

4. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

What are you doing with the truck?

<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/chvyhs>WebShot Pics</a>

5. bigblue86

I just want it for looks and to go play I got a new motor in it and new trans going in next week I need to find a axle in Dallas and then I be good to go. its a 86 suburban and u dont see many big suburbans on the rd here in Dallas

6. shupach

shupach 1/2 ton status

wat kinda axle you need, i'm in dallas and have a d44 and a 12 bolt lying around, or i might be able to get you a used d60/14ff (o no not that 1 ton{sarcasm}) from like abilene cause thats where i got mine, btw im running an 8 inch superlift, i like it but its not as high as i would like it(typical me).

phill

7. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

Do you have any pics? I'm finishing my 90 Sub's 6" lift. I still ony have 33's, 36's are on the way. I was also curious if you like having a body lift? I was considering a 2", but I don't know what the drawbacks are.

<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/chvyhs>WebShot Pics</a>

8. bigblue86

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/dodge_diesel_cowboy_69/vwp?.dir=/Yahoo!+Photo+Album&amp;.src=ph&amp;.dnm=Mvc-898x.jpg&amp;.view=t&amp;.done=http%3a//photos.yahoo.com/bc/dodge_diesel_cowboy_69/lst%3f%26.dir=/Yahoo!%2bPhoto%2bAlbum%26.src=ph%26.view=t

try that link I not sure its going to show up if not copy and paste it.

9. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

clicky:

<a target="_blank" href=http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/dodge_diesel_cowboy_69/vwp?.dir=/Yahoo!+Photo+Album&amp;.src=ph&amp;.dnm=Mvc-898x.jpg&amp;.view=t&amp;.done=http%3a//photos.yahoo.com/bc/dodge_diesel_cowboy_69/lst%3f%26.dir=/Yahoo!%2bPhoto%2bAlbum%26.src=ph%26.view=t>http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/dodge_diesel_cowboy_69/vwp?.dir=/Yahoo!+Photo+Album&amp;.src=ph&amp;.dnm=Mvc-898x.jpg&amp;.view=t&amp;.done=http%3a//photos.yahoo.com/bc/dodge_diesel_cowboy_69/lst%3f%26.dir=/Yahoo!%2bPhoto%2bAlbum%26.src=ph%26.view=t</a>
    That thing would be SWWWEEEEETTTTTTTT with 42's!! How do you like the BDS lift?

10. bigblue86

I the BDS kit is ok I dont like it the Ride it gives to soft i mean way to soft. its good for off road and all I just bought the BDS for the warrenty . I am going to sell it when I get my Superlift 8 or 12 inch kit. My kit does not even have 200 miles on the kit and on the 8 shocks on the truck.

11. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

well, when you get ready to sell it be sure and post it in parts and you can sell it pretty quick or save all that hassle and let me know and we will see what we can do!!!

Fort Worth Texas K5er[​IMG]It is always easier to ask for forgiveness than permission[​IMG]

12. bigblue86

I have my kit ready next week I just have to find out how much its going to be to extend my drive line and what size lift to go with. e mail me if and leave a name and # I call u and let u know it will go cheap and still has a warrenty I never sent in the warrenty papers.. e mail is dodge_diesel_cowboy_69@yahoo.com

13. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I sent you an email let me know if you get it thanks Jeff

Fort Worth Texas K5er[​IMG]It is always easier to ask for forgiveness than permission[​IMG]

14. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

superlift big springs are STIFF
    and they are actually too short, meaning the shackle angle ends up being bad.
    go custom

formerly 77chev
    still a jerk though

15. bigblue86

Thanks for the replay on the Superlift big springs. I have been doing my homework the pass few days and been to about 700 web site and viewed pics and E mail people And I think I going to go a head and order a 12 inch super lift I may get there and change my mind and go with a 8 inch BDS I am not sure whats going to happen.. Thanks for all the help great web site...still need a 14 bolt

16. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Also remember to make it steer with a 12" lift you will need to do crossover steering. So if you run a 10 bolt or dana 44 you need a flat top knuckle, 2wd steering box, drop pitman arm, and custom center link. The drop steering arm and the link are not enough.

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&33"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

17. bigblue86

Hell I may just stay with what I got. 6 inch BDS and 3 inch body. and 38.5 grown hawgs I wanted a little bigger :((

18. 425 Xpedition

425 Xpedition 1/2 ton status

A 10" kit and 3" puts my truck on top of the 39's. Could run 42's now. But when I put on the 44's gonna get the 12" springs. The ride is stiff, but hey I did not buy 1 ton for the ride in the first place. As far as the springs being to short, I did not have a problem with that. The only problem I had was that the 1 ton frame is bigger and the springs would hit the frame very easily. Made some longer shackles and solved the problem. The shackles also made the truck drive better. Gave back some od the caster that the wedges took.

1990 Crew Cab, 14" lift , 39 x 18 Mickeys, 16.5 x 14 Welds, Dana 60 & 14 bolt, Traclock & Detroit Locker, 4.56gears, 454TBI, Turbo 400, 205

19. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

My friend's truck steers with a 12" lift and front to back steering. Crossover would probably make it steer better (which I've told him a million times) but it still steers now. They made their own drop pitman arm and drag link. It has the 3" steering block and 4" arm.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

20. scrapin74

scrapin74 Registered Member

i have a 78 blazer with 12 inch lift.....and a Superlift 12" kit actually comes with 8" springs in the rear and a 4" block....but I have a shackle flip and longer shacle to make up that 4"......i also have 4" drop down brackets wekded to the frame and 3" body lift.....and 44"boggers.......this truck was the tallest in my town for a long while....but I cant use it.....so I am taking everything off goin with small lift and 35" MTRs and gonna go play with the thing.....its ALL for sale...lemme know its ALL gotta go