Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Super low range

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by firefighter184, Mar 5, 2004.

1. firefighter184

firefighter184 1/2 ton status

Just one question:

When will somebody be coming out with a super low range (4:1) kit for the 241 (or 205 or 208)?

Can't afford a doubler and the associated mods yet, real life is killing me!

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

That would be nice. And a real SYE kit too(np208) /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

3. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I don't know of any kits available right now, but I figure even if there are it would still be cheaper to go with the doubler. I just need the adapter to finish my Doub' which will total to about 800 bones....since I found a 205 and a 203 rangebox cheap...

4. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Won't happen to a 205. the big gear is the size of the case. The small gear would be weak if it were any smaller.
    Possible on a 241 in the future.

5. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

your '89 is going to have a 700R. add that to a 208/241 and add 5.13 gears and you got the "Poor Man's Doubler"

or you can add an underdrive unit.

6. dhdescender

dhdescender 1/2 ton status

Qualicum Beach, British Columbia, Canada - Eh.
    I've been working on a 3.2:1 kit for a NP205...

BUUUUTTT....

I'd have to buck off the whole bottom of the case, make a gasket and a new "pan" to get the gears back in there. That, and I would also have to machine EVERY gear in there from solid stock. It can be done, you've gotta clearance pretty much EVERYTHING, and it isnt really finacially feasable, or do-able to ship cases back and forth to be clearanced.

NP203's...they're not so bad. I've managed to get a 3.7:1 kit in one of those. Had to hack the [darn] outta the case, but it can be done.

[ QUOTE ]

Can't afford a doubler and the associated mods yet, real life is killing me!

[/ QUOTE ]
    Oh, and The NP205 gear kit would be well over a thousand USD. The most "financially feasable" means of a doubler is the StaZworks kit.

7. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

If I ever do it, I am going to put a Klune in between the 700 and 241. Nothing like having a 115 crawl ratio with an auto. I'd rather do a Klune than ORD Doubler, nothing wrong with the Doubler, just think the Klune is more practical.

But if I were to build doubler it would be with the 203 3:1 Kit and tripple stick converstion /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

8. firefighter184

firefighter184 1/2 ton status

Even though I can't do it now, my personal belief is that anything under 4:88 is useless anyway. Running 3:73s now, but when the 14bolt goes in, believe me, 5:13s or death. /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif