Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Super Swamper SSR questions/opinions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by chev4life, Feb 12, 2004.

1. chev4life

chev4life 1/2 ton status

Well, getting my 3/4ton front and 14ff, and now I need new tires...sooooooo
    I want 35's and I am looking two different ones...
    35x12.5 16 ProComp Xterrains
    35X12.5 16 SS SSR radials
    Got any opinons on either? I hit offroad as much as I have time for but mostly it is just camping dirt roads and such and then the mud holes a few times a year and I tow my boat many times a year....how would the SSR's work for me? How is the DD tread wear for them? I know ProComps can get good milage, but how about them SSR's.
    Also, with my 4" lift how much do you think I would have to trim to run the SSR's? I figure more than I would with the ProComps, but I dont want to go crazy, still want it to look somewhat stock. Any pics???

2. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

The SSR is a great tire for what it is. I had a set of 33x14.50's and they wore, rode, handled, and wheeled great. I sold them when I had 20,000 miles on them and they still had at least 1/2 tread left. They are very good in the mud and are pretty quiet on the street(compared to my boggers). I would definantly get them over the procomps. I would get a 6" kit of you don't already have a lift and you won't have any worries but if you already have a 4" than you will just have to mount them on and see. Some people get away with not cutting and some don't, plus the SSR is a pretty big tire in general, my 33x14.50 were like 33.5" tall and really wide. THe 35x14.50 are the same way, big for what size they are listed as but I don't know if it is the same with the skinnier 12.50 tires.

3. chev4life

chev4life 1/2 ton status

20k and still 1/2 tread left...that is awesome...if I could 30k out of them I would be just fine! I aleady have my 4" installed and really like that height so I want to stay with it...I do have extended front shackels so that maybe adds 1/2" so maybe I will be ok. I think I will go with the SSR's, now need to figure out a spare.
    What kind of offset are people running on 10" wide wheels? I was thinking 4.5"...woudl that do me? I dont want the wheels to stick out, but also dont want the tire rubbing my frame ( dont think I need to worry about taht though)

4. rjfguitar

That is a lot of back spacing, I would go with like 3.5" or so. Why do you not wan't them to stick out a little? They are only 12.50's, the back should stay tucked and the front will just barelly stick out.

My boggers stick out far enough to where I can sit on them and lean my back against the fender. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

5. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

I dont know that much about in the dirt, but as for a DD, my buddy has 38" SSRs and there crappy. Theres about 3k miles on them, and there pretty well worn down. My other buddy with 35s didnt like them eithr. I dont know about Pro Comps, but as for the SSRs, id stay away from them if theyll see a lot of street.

6. chev4life

chev4life 1/2 ton status

3.5" eh...hmmm, wont that push them out quit a bit, a little past the fender is fine, but nothing more than an 1" or so, need to check what mine are right now.
    K5MONSTERCHEV, your buddy doesnt like 'em for the street? Huh, I have heard they are pretty good for what they are and most my miles will be on the street. Hmmm....
    anyone else have a little info on them? I really need something that last for awhile so I dont have to keep buying new tires, but I want somethign that will clear mud so I dont get stuck like my ProComp Muds dont do (just fill up and stay till I hit hard packed and I dont like it)...any other options?

7. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

I had 37-12.5-15 SSRs and I liked them.They handle good on the street and I was happy with them on the rocks.Most of the time I had them I ran them un balanced and they werent too bad.

The only reason I got rid of them is cuz I got Dana 60 and I didnt wanna grind to get the 15s to fit /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

8. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    3.5" eh...hmmm, wont that push them out quit a bit, a little past the fender is fine, but nothing more than an 1" or so, need to check what mine are right now.
    K5MONSTERCHEV, your buddy doesnt like 'em for the street? Huh, I have heard they are pretty good for what they are and most my miles will be on the street. Hmmm....
    anyone else have a little info on them? I really need something that last for awhile so I dont have to keep buying new tires, but I want somethign that will clear mud so I dont get stuck like my ProComp Muds dont do (just fill up and stay till I hit hard packed and I dont like it)...any other options?

[/ QUOTE ] 3.5" backspacing is still quite a bit, The 12.50's on 10's won't stick out much at all. I think the BS on a stock rim is right at 3.5" or a little less. I think if you wen't with 4.5" BS and skinny 10" rims and 12.50 tires it would look funny sucked in so far and make it more unstable offroad. You wan't a somewhat wider stance than stock when you lift a truck to help compensate for the added heigth. I know this is what I think and any one that I have ever talked to. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

As far as SSR's, monster K5 may have had a buddy or 2 run them but like I said, I ran them myself and I was very happ with their wear. You said something about 30,000 miles, If you drive like your grown up and don't have a mean locker I would bet you could get 40,000 miles out of them if they stayed balanced and rotated regularly.

9. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I just got my 37x12.50 SSR's yesterday. I can't wait to put them on. The reply above about mileage is the only time I've ever heard somebody say they didn't get good wear from them. Thet are Swampers, but do wear good on the street.

10. shewheeler

shewheeler 1/2 ton status

I'm currently running the 37 x 12.5 x 15s on 15x8 wheels w/ 3.5 BS. The tall, skinny look /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

Really like them on the street (not very loud) and work pretty good offroad (for me at least). They seem to be wearing pretty good, except I cringe around every corner with that welded rearend /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif I'd get them again /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

11. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

12.5s on 10s with 3.5" of BS will stick out half an inch or so. I personally think that 4.25" of BS is perfect on a 10" wide rim.

12. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    except I cringe around every corner with that welded rearend /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif I'd get them again /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]eeeewwwww! /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif Little bit hard on them isn't it?

13. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]

The NEW 38x15.5R16 SSRs
    I have ran the 37x12.5R16 on a 10" rim for over 2.5 years and lots of mileage they wore good for an aggresize tire. I love the SSRs can't say enough good things about them. I got into deep mud and water yesterday and they were slinging goo everywhere, they clean very well. Go SSR and don't look back!

14. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

Here are the OLD 37x12.5 SSRs

[​IMG]

15. chev4life

chev4life 1/2 ton status

Those things look mean, I love em! Sounds like you guys really dig em, 2.5 years on a set of tires is way more than enough, I am leaning closer and closer to them.
    Hey Bullet, you are running 16x10's just like I am going to...what offset are you running? The only offset I can find in aluminum rims is 4.5", the 15x10's that I have now on my 1/2ton gear are 3.5" and I like the stance. Is the 3/4 ton gear wider? Anyone know the WMS on stock 10b's F/R? I am thinking 353x12.5's on 16x10' MT Classic II's or similar.

16. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

I am almost positive that the backspacing is 4.5 or 4.25 on my American Eagle 589s

17. rjfguitar

1/2 ton and 3/4 ton stuff is the same width.
    I told ya. SSR's were cool! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

18. rjfguitar

Since we are posting pics... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    [​IMG]
    I would run SSR's again if they made a wider one. Like a 35x15.50 or 16.50. But I may just stretch a 35x14.50 on my rims if I have to. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif But I will probably go with a Cepek FC.

19. chev4life

chev4life 1/2 ton status

If I run that same offset w/ 12.5's it would look funny, they would be too far inside my wheel wells. Damn, how do I get a 16" that has different offsets or are manufactures not listing everythign?

20. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I have been running 35x12.50-15 SSRs for a couple yrs now. I love this tire! I use to run a Dunlop Mud Tire so I have no prior Swamper experiance but I love the SSR.
    [​IMG]
    Here I am in Moab. I drove my K5 from Cali to Moab and back. I drive my rig to every trail head I goto as well. All I know is that the SSR is wearing GREAT for the the rubber being as soft as it is. The lugs on this tire does chunk off a bit easy on the rocks but other than that GREAT tire. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif