Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Super swamper SSR's for DD

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bam bam k5, Jan 21, 2004.

1. bam bam k5

bam bam k5 1/2 ton status

Super swamper SSR\'s for DD

I know that someone has asked this but here goes anyway. How would the SSR's do on a DD. Will they last longer than byply super swampers.

2. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Re: Super swamper SSR\'s for DD

They are pretty pavement friendly (if ya get a round set). Much better than bias. I run TSL radials and they are pretty good as far as Swampers go /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I ran 33x14.50's for a long time on my blazer when it was still a 1/2ton. They wore and rode great. I had over 20,000 miles on mine when I got rid of them and they weren't even half gone. [​IMG]

4. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

Nice rig rj! I've always heard that Super Swampers were bad for onroad wear. Is it just certain ones that are bad? Sorry the the partial hijack. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Kris

5. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    Nice rig rj! I've always heard that Super Swampers were bad for onroad wear. Is it just certain ones that are bad? Sorry the the partial hijack. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Kris

[/ QUOTE ]Thanks! The paint is rougher now from many trips in the mud since that pic but I had the paint glowing pretty decent when I took that picture. Nothing a little wax can't do. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Some people think that all swampers wear bad but not a few. The SSR is capable of 40,000 miles if they are taken care of. The TSL radial wears decently too. The new STS and trxus supposedly wear really good. Thornbirds SUPPOSEDLY wear decent to for a bias but I hear many different stories about terdbirds.

6. 88jimmy4x4

88jimmy4x4 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I ran 33x14.50's for a long time on my blazer when it was still a 1/2ton. They wore and rode great. I had over 20,000 miles on mine when I got rid of them and they weren't even half gone. [​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]

How much lift did you have at this stage?

I too have been contemplating 35x14.50 SSR's but I have also heard the nightmares of balancing and hydroplaning.

7. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

I've heard nothing but horror stories with thornbirds, and that they suck in the mud. Since mud and trails with a little rock crawling is what I like to do, those are out. I haven't really heard anything about the SSR's. TSL's on the other hand, good, bad, and indifferent. Mostly good though.

Kris

8. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    How much lift did you have at this stage?

I too have been contemplating 35x14.50 SSR's but I have also heard the nightmares of balancing and hydroplaning.

[/ QUOTE ]
    At that time I had 6 inches of lift. I bet you would like SSR's. They were smoother than my old BFG muds. My SSR's always balanced without needing the weight of an anvil on one side of the rim.

9. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

after getting back into the whole 4x4 thing, i've been contemplating what i want to run on my rig when done.

it will be a DD and honestly onroad probably 95% of the time till i can start finding some good local spots. i used to run 35 BFG AT on my PowerWagon and they worked great. but the hotrodder in me wants a more aggressive tire. so my choice for an aggressive tire that "might" be streetable is the SSR. love the look of em, but i really am not crazy about the idea of alot of road noise... not so concerned about mileage or cost...

what a comparison that is, SSR's vs an AT /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

10. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

What about a SSR compared to say a BFG MT and a MTR. Tires are a big chunk of my build cost. I'm looking at 35's. I would like to be able to get a decent amount of miles out of them. I don't care how loud they are. Ride quality would hopefully be decent. I can get Mud King MT locally for fairly cheep too. I know they aren't the greatest, but still. What do you think?

Kris

11. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Tires are a big chunk of my build cost.

Kris

[/ QUOTE ]
    That's the reson I went with the Ground Hawg's 2's. They wear like iron.

12. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

What size? Radial or Bias? How much did they set you back for all 4?

Kris

13. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I went with the 36 X 14.50 r15's Price: $264.95 each.

14. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

37x12.5R16 SSR's...

[​IMG]

Had them for 2yrs/20,000 miles and they are wearing pretty good for a tire of its size. the Only complaint is tread chunking and the puter lugs spliting. Other than that I have had the tires up to 90mph and have hit water fast in them on the streets. Sure they are going to hydroplane, but any aggresive mud tire will! Basically put I am getting rid of these tires because I want bigger meats /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif If they made 40x15r16 SSR I'd have them in a heartbeat. But my plans are for a set of 39.5x13.5R16 IROK radials /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

PM me or my Dad, Derf00 for anymore pics or check our members ride page /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

That is one sweet rig bullet! Very nice! Sounds like SSR's get pretty good wear for such a large tire. I didn't realize they were so expensive though. Not much more than a TSL, but a whole lot more than a BFG. WOW! The ground hawgs are a little more though. How many miles are you looking at getting out of a set. We'll say 60/40 road to offroad, mostly trails and mud.

Kris

16. ryoken

sorry Kris, i'm thee last person on the board to ask for firsthand knowledge on tires /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif my only experience is with BFG AT's... most seem to talk well of the MTR's tho.. i would think most of the cheaper mud tires probably do pretty well on the street for wear.. i hear the BFG MT's get incredible mileage too...

17. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

A friend of mine ran some BFG AT's (old style) well past 65000 miles. When he was done with them they were nothing but steel belts. They were 33x10.5 on a S10 blazer, but that still amazes me!

Kris

18. ryoken

yeah, they may be my cop out tire, probably the smart thing.. mine had 30 on em with about 1/2 tread left. my brain says AT's, but my balls say SSR's. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

19. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    yeah, they may be my cop out tire, probably the smart thing.. mine had 30 on em with about 1/2 tread left. my brain says AT's, but my balls say SSR's. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

My brain tells me A/T's, my pocketbook tells me BlueBlazer62's mud kings that he's got for sale, and my balls tell me a set of 325/85R16 Michelin XMLs or 11.00R16 XLs which come in all kinds of sizes and can be had for less than $900 to your door.

Oh yeah, and they fit on STOCK 16" wheels too.

I'll keep you guys posted if I have the balls to order a set.

20. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

So many choices and so little money. Guess I'm gonna have to start saving again so I get me some nice tires for when I lift mine and put the 1 tons underneath it.

Kris