Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Super swamper TSL Radials

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by aksidentproan, Sep 1, 2002.

1. aksidentproan

aksidentproan 1/2 ton status

The next set of tires I buy will probably be 36x12.50-15 TSL Radials unless you guys tell me otherwise. How long do they last? How loud are they? Anything else I should know? I do some highway driving so this stuff is important to me(especially wear characteristics)

Thanks guys,
    Evan

2. FL84K5

FL84K5 1/2 ton status

Im curious too. Ill be running 38s and want to know if there are any advantages on the street with the TSL Radials over the non radial ones.

3. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

I had a set of them for a while.

I liked the ride and drive, they were both supurb, and they were quiet. They are a good choice for a streetable true mud tire.

"Then why..." you ask "did you got to bias"

Well I was scared of a radial popping, and had seen quite a few radials trashed from trail damage. The bias are tougher than radial, and have much wider tread gap, and therefore are louder an more vibrating.

All in all if you aren't out to climb over Ginsu like rocks and whatnot and drive on the street a lot, go for radials.

If you at all will drive in rough stuff, want to tear through anythign and everything with no worry, and can put up with a kind of bad ride, go bias.

Right now I have 38x13x16 Bias TSL's they measure a true 36.5 inches tall, 12 inch tread at widest point, on a 16x8 rim. They are not balanced, but they are siped. They rode rough at first, but I don't notice it anymore after the siping and swaybar removal. A man can tolerate anything if he really wants to reach a certain goal. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif /forums/images/icons/smile.gif /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

BTW - Siping and grooving drasticly helps ride on any swamper IMO. I've siped both sets of swampers I've owned. Gives better traction on ice too.

4. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

I have the 38x15.5x16.5 Radials and I love them. I can hear a truck with mud terrains comming up behind me on the freeway because my tires are so quiet. As for off road, I've only had them on the sand and rocks and I still love them. I have a friend that's from Mississippi and he loves them for mud a street. That's about all I can say be cause this is my first set of Super Swampers.

5. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

For a daily driver TSL radials are a great idea. They are a radial design(duh) which is why the ride is so much better. The tread compound is a little harder which allows them to wear longer. The biggest difference is that the tread pattern is tighter than a standard TSL. They don't have as much grip, but still more than almost any other tire. Buy them, I don't think you will regret it.

6. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

I got some 33's TSL radials..so far so good. If I had the $$$ at the time I would have gotten SSR's agian. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

7. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

. <font color="green"> I have about 6000 miles on 38" radials, and alot of hard offroad miles, and they have an easy 80% left. They balanced well but I don't know how loud they are becuase my exhaust borders on being annoyingly loud. I don't think they are too bad, but like RJ said they are a little weak. I put a 6" hole in one of them from something in a mud pit. It may have happened to a bias also, but since it only cut through a few plies and lasted a couple weeks before it blew, I doubt it. An excellent tire for on road and any trail without really pointy stuff /forums/images/icons/grin.gif </font color>

8. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I have set of those that I run in the winter and I like them. The bias I run in the summer and for winter snow works but they suck when it is real cold. The radials have been fine. Thinking about getting some 38" radials for daily driving.

9. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

They're awsome! They're not a quiet tire, but there's plenty of tires that are louder.
    As far as wear...they're pretty soft. So they wear faster than a bfg. How many miles a year do you put on your blazer?
    Jeeze...I wish I knew how many miles I've put on mine! I think they've got maybe 15K? And they're worn about half way down? Maybe? I'm guessing... /forums/images/icons/grin.gif