Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Super Swamper TSL/Thornbird's

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by nickdubrule41, Aug 12, 2005.

1. nickdubrule41

nickdubrule41 Registered Member

Hey guys im looking to replace my tires soon as i fiish up my bumper. i have been running 33X12.5 BF M.T. tires. and they have been pretty good. i drive my truck all week and wheel on the weekend. i like the look of the Super Swamper TSL/Thornbird's what do u guys think of them. how do u think they would compair to the BF M.T.'s.and how do they hold up in snow on the trail and on the street. thanks nick

2. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

thornbirds are horrible all around. dont buy em :D

3. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

Thornbirds get a really bad rap around here. I have owned a couple sets of them. They really aren't GOOD at anything, but they are not as bad as people make them out to be. If the LOOK is what you want, they are great. I got 30,000 miles out of the first set of them that I had on my Dodge Ram 50, and they still had enough tread left on them that when I took them off I sold them for 250 bucks. They suck in the mud, have not so great street manners, are fair in SNOW if you air them down... terrible on compact snow/ice.
    I probably will never buy another set, but they aren't as bad as people make them out to be... just depends on what you do w/ your truck.

4. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

thornturds are the real name. thay are for street running .

5. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

Only thing thorn birds are "good" at is dry dirt and even there a good mud tire will outperform them. I say get another set of bfgs or go with tsl radials.

6. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

Only thing thorn birds are "good" on is dry dirt and even there a good mud tire will outperform them. I say get another set of bfgs or go with tsl radials.

7. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

and your K5 on is all seasons... but your uncle's cousin's sister's boyfriend's daughter-in-law's nephew had them on his monster truck and told you they were bad, right?

8. original balzer

original balzer 1/2 ton status

i ran a smal set for a while. not long enough to tell you how they wear but overall i was very unimpressed. the only time they seamed to do "good" was deep sand and the only reason i think that was is because they was a 31x12.50x 15 therefore wider than other 31's i had run

balzer

9. nickdubrule41

nickdubrule41 Registered Member

ok thanks guys. some one mentioned the tsl radials how well do they perform compaired to what im running, trail and street manner wise?

10. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

TSL radials are going to be louder and rougher on the street but will outperform the BFG's on the trail....if the BFG's do dwhat you need right now I would go with another set of em

11. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

How did you know???? :surepal:

damn, someday you gotta teach me to read that crystal ball you got... :smirk: :whistle: :rotfl:

I got alot more wheeling experience than you think... having pulled out tons of 1/2 ton chevys and yotas with thornbirds 3 inches bigger than my generic mud tires, i have seen them in action they SUCK in mud but are decent on dry dusty trails, even though my big foot m/t's kicked the thornbirds ass on hill climbs.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2005