Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Super Swampers- opinions?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jhrody, May 28, 2003.

1. jhrody

jhrody 1/2 ton status

I need to get some new shoes for my other truck (Dakota) /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif, and am pondering on TSL SuperSwamper Radials.

-what kind of longevity can I expect out of these?
    -how loud are these?
    -hows the traction on wet/dry pavement?

My Dak is an almost daily driver, but probably sees more off road use than my K5.

Opinions on SSR's please? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

2. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

I personally like the SSR's due to thier siping and low noise levels. I run the 37x12.5r16 and have had little problems with them and no flats. They work great in the mud and on the rocks.

I've put close to 15K on them and they look great for the most part. On wet pavement I did slide, but the main cause too that was the Detriot in the rear.

I like them so much I'm probably going to get the 38" size when I get the money /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

I have 38" TSL Radials. They were on a Hummer for a while and now on my Jimmy. They seem to be wearing very well, handle fine (for a 38!)
    My cousin runs the SSR's and he loves em'. He usually sees about 30-40K out of a set. He just stepped up to the 37's after 2 sets of the 35's.

4. JDBlazer454

JDBlazer454 1/2 ton status

I am currently running a set of 38" ssr's that were used on the same running gear but different truck for 3 years of daily driving/weekend wheeling. They still drive great, hold air, and have 50% tread on them. They drive just as well as my 35" BFG's when brand new. I love them and when worn out will stay with the same size if money permits.

btw....They are as loud as my 39.5 bias ply were and handle awesome on wet pavement. They move through standing water with no problems and still do awesome offroad.

5. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

what size? MT/R's are better all around tires and don't have as much of a cupping problem. usually a bit cheaper too.

6. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

There a really good off road tire My buddy has them on his CJ-7 but they seem to wear quickly on pavement his are half tread and have about 9000 miles on them other than that they work awesome in the rocks (he won't come play in the mud ) There a little bit louder than my MTR's on my truck

7. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

I have only heard good tings of the ssr's here on ck5. However a buddy had them and said they wore horrible. Also theres a blazer at work with 35's on it and all the tires are worn differrently, meaning one has a bunch of tread and the lowest is really low. I dont think id like the idea of 1 tire going bald and the others have tread. But I dont know how big of a concern that is for you.

8. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

dont drive em on asphault, they will last 4eva.

j

9. juanblzer

juanblzer 1/2 ton status

my opinion:
    swampers suck if you daily driving on them. On rocks they are super cool but if you spin them you will actually have a nice pile of ground up tires on the rocks afterward. I've never been able to air down so low as with my sampers. they would fold over themselves and flop and kicked ass on the trail. Sadly, I drove them to moab and they were half lifers when I returned. I went MTRs because I want to do it all. Highway speeds, rocks, sand, dirt and air. by the way I had 36 12.50 16s tsl radials.

10. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

My dad has a set of 36x12.50-16super swamper tsl radials on his bronco and I like them. They are a bit loud on the street but definetly not crazy loud. and as far as longevity he's put over 30000 on those tires and just now is starting to need new ones.