Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Super Swampers or Baja Claws?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by gruveb, Jun 30, 2003.

1. gruveb

gruveb Registered Member

I'm looking at the 35X13.5X15" Baja claws or a set of 35X15X15" TSL Super Swampers. I have a set of almost warn out swampers on there right now.

Anyhow, I like the mud, but there's only mud around here for two months a year or so. It's mostly gravely/rocky/sandy.

The reviews I read about the Baja Claws say they excell in the type of terrain that I have here.

Price is about a wash, so which way to go?

2. Blazer-Boy

Blazer-Boy Registered Member

How much street use will they see?

3. Bhintz

Bhintz 1/2 ton status

swampers, claws suck

4. gruveb

gruveb Registered Member

A moderate amount of street use, hard to define I guess. Probably only as much as it takes me to get to the trailheads. But it's not a daily driver, the only reason I would HAVE to drive it on the road would be if I needed to pick up something large.

I've read that the bias ply claws absolutely suck, but the radials are good.

Any other opinions?

5. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

i have no personal exp with either, but i remember reading a tech article about claws in one of the 4wheel mags, they said the bias plys dont have as good of manners as the radials on pavement, but that they were alot tougher of tire offroad. took alot of abuse. i guess the carcass is geared more for wheelin. But then again, ive heard the same thing about the TSL's. if it were me i'd go with the tsl's causs they look bad ass, but i would bet that the claws would perform better in your neck of the woods, 10 months out of the year. just my 2 cents /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

6. o2bjimmy

o2bjimmy 1/2 ton status

Ive ran bots TSLs and Claws. I prefer Claws but I wheel in rocks and no mud. 1 thing to me that makes the mickeys more appealing is the side lugs. They give you mundo side traction where as TSLs are a almost slick sidewall. The sidelugs could do wonders in mud as well im sure. If you still like the idea of having swampers check out the TSL-SXs. They got wicked sidewalls as well.

7. Toledo

Toledo 1/2 ton status

35x15.50 SXs swampers this tire has more tread depth and bigger voids than anything available. Aggresive and thick sidewalls.

8. gruveb

gruveb Registered Member

[ QUOTE ]
    35x15.50 SXs swampers this tire has more tread depth and bigger voids than anything available. Aggresive and thick sidewalls.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I have right now. They're showing quite a bit of wear now though. I have to worry about a lot of ruts, sharp rocks, lose/gravely steep hills, sand (Swamper suck in the sand IMO), and like I said, rarely if ever mud. And the mud I do have is puddles really, nothing too serious!

Sounds like the claws are an excellent fit.

This may sound funny, but the swampers tend to dig too much. In soft/lose ground, they dig in.

How bad are claws in the mud anyway?

9. Blazer-Boy

Blazer-Boy Registered Member

[ QUOTE ]

Anyhow, I like the mud, but there's only mud around here for two months a year or so. It's mostly gravely/rocky/sandy.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you've got more gravel, rock and sand with less mud, I'd go with the Claws...They are both decent tires though...(as long as you dont mind tread loss due to pavement)