Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Super Winch manual hubs.. any good?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 90idahoblazer, Sep 6, 2001.

1. 90idahoblazer

90idahoblazer 1/2 ton status

Well you read the title....Have any of you used or heard of any pros and cons....They sell them at Checker for 59.00 a set...plus I get a 10% military discount.....are they worth getting rid of my auto hubs....I know the issue of manual vs. auto has already been raised here.....I dont believe that there was any feed back on the Super Winch hubs.

Later, Tom

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Some people feel they are better than even the Warn Premiums. The internals are all steel and not pot metal. So far I'm not real impressed with the Warn Premiums I have. They haven't broken but they don't fit real tight to the hub. It may be a D44 issue. Everybody that has a 10 bolt hub (mines a mish mash, 10 bolt housing with D44 spindles and hubs and 10 bolt backing plates...don't ask [​IMG]) doesn't seem to have the complaint.

It's not my damn planet monkey boy!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s>communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s</a>
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    79 Chevy Blazer, Her's
    70 Chevy Burb
    Grim-Reaper

3. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

I have a set of Warn Premium's and a set of Superwinches...
    I prefer.. Hands down the Superwinche's... tough in construction, won't rust..and only take a 1/4 turn to engage compared to the Warn's full rotation.

I haven't failed, I've found 10,000 ways that don't work. www.rocko.rockcrawler.com

4. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I heard that a full rotation hub it better for engageing and disengaging and staying engaged.......ya know what they say about hearsay!
    never ran anything but Warn and have had 0 issues.
    .02c

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/baja/5099>www.geocities.com/baja/5099</a>

5. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

Superwinch makes good Jeep hubs. The internal spline Superwinch hubs for 1/2 &amp; 3/4 ton trucks are CRAP! I tried two different ones (both brand new) on my old 3/4 ton 44, one lasted ~day, the other &gt;10 min.

I never ran the Warn Premiums. I tried one OE Warn, it lasted ~1/2 day.

I ran the old Selectros for a long time, never broke one, but they are hard to disengage, especially w/a front locker. These are the ones where the whole hub turns, instead of having a dial.

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

6. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

I have the Superwinch ones and like them a lot. They are really nice and only $60 at Pep Boys- free if the slower then average sales girl doesn't charge you for them like me! [​IMG]

How can I miss you if you won't go away? [​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html>www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html</a>
    &lt;&gt;&lt; 1 Timothy 4:12 &gt;&lt;&gt;

7. 90idahoblazer

How are they to install (Super Winch)?....I just repacked my bearings last weekend and the OE autos were cake to put back in.....

8. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I have been running Superwinches for about 2 years now with no problems. I replaced my auto hubs with them when the autos started giving me trobule.
    I wheel my rig pretty hard. I just spent a week locked in 4x4 driving all over the mountains around here(Northern Nevada) deer hunting. I been through rocks, mud, dust, water,And they have given me no problems at all.
    They were easy to install, I just removed the auto hubs and put in the Superwinches. They required no modifications The whole job should take no more than a hour.
    They are also easy to maintain. I just pull them once a year, blow them out with air. Then re oil them with light machine oil or ATF. Do not use grease!
    The only bad thing I have heard about them is that they dont hold up well if you are running lockers in the front

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Thunders-Blaze>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Thunders-Blaze</a>
    <font color=orange>Charter Member of The Too Much Fun Club</font color=orange>

9. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

I run superwinches. They are great. No problems. They take about 5 minutes a side to put in.

86 Jimmy 4"lift 35"MTRs Other cars 69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

10. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

I've ran milemarkers, superwinches, external warns, and slugs[​IMG]. The mile markers were crap, I didn't like the superwinch hubs much, but they did okay. THe warns so far are doing well, the slugs, well, you don't break those.

IMO, It doesn't matter what hub you put on, just get rid of the autolockers. They almost cost me a truck and my life. The superwinch hubs sound like a good deal, mine lasted about a year.

Kyle
    89K5

11. not4show

not4show 1/2 ton status

Stupid question coming up: What are "slugs"?

Never put a stupid move passed a stupid person.

12. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

drive flanges. If you have an external style hub assembly, you can run them. They are what came with the 44 when I got the truck, it was originally a 203 equiped truck. They are pretty much indestructible, they bolt on in place of a hub.

Kyle
    89K5

13. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

They are plentiful for the internal spline style too.

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs

14. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

is that the little chrome capped looking deal that came with the light duty 203's? I never messed with one like that, not sure

Kyle
    89K5

15. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

The chrome thing is just a dust cap. The slug is behind it, its just a disk w/splines on the outside and inside. Find them on all 1/2 tons and the small bearing 3/4 tons, all '73-'74 and '75-'79 autos.

Pete

16. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

Thank you sir. Never looked at one. I still think I feel more comfortable with my fullsize flanges. [​IMG]

Kyle
    89K5

17. 90idahoblazer

Thanks for the Info Guys and Girl...Im going to go get the Super WInches tonight

18. not4show

not4show 1/2 ton status

Thanks Kyle89K5 for clearing that up.

Never put a stupid move passed a stupid person.

19. mike reeh

mike reeh 1/2 ton status

I have superwinches on my truck they look and work excellent. would buy them again.. no problems, always engage &amp; disengage easily

mike

20. 90idahoblazer

I will let you guys know how they work....