Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

SUPERCHARGED 383?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 383STROKERINAK5, Nov 13, 2002.

1. 383STROKERINAK5

383STROKERINAK5 Registered Member

Anyone ever seen a whipple supercharger on a 383 stroker? Is it even possible? What do you guys know about this? Phil /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

it would be very possible, on the outside a 383 is a 350 get a super charger for a 350 and you're set!

3. 383STROKERINAK5

I'm more concerned on what cam to use and the computer stuff. Will I need more fuel,air,etc.? Phil /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

4. ratlover

ratlover 1/2 ton status

What compression are you running now? Thats the big thing. Like you mentioned you might need a cam change. There are no differences in supercharging a 383 compared to a 350 or a 454. The blower will take care of the extra air /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif but you will need to add more fule to the extra air. Its to hard to say beings you are running an already modded motor(that we dont know the specs of) to say what you will need to do. Are you going to keep FI? lots of missing peices....

5. JoseK5

JoseK5 Registered Member

You can always add bigger injectors, bigger fuel pump, air filter, plenum etc... they are all easy work, BUT what you need to know the actual compression ratio your pistons are subjected to, this way you can figure out how much boost to get from your supercharger, and also determine the size of your supercharger, keep us posted...

6. 383STROKERINAK5

The motor has 9.5 compression and is ready for a rebuild. I'm just here trying to figure out my options. Phil /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

7. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

If you want to add the supercharger rebuild it with 8:1 compression no more, and don't forget to O ring all the seals.

8. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

You'll need to build it with no more than 8.1 to 8.5:1 compression, and yes, you will need a blower cam or you'll detonate your motor. Also, if you need to make the choice on head work, get the exhaust side done. The blower will take care of the intake. It can force the air in, but the engine will need help to get rid of the spent fuel fast enough. You'll need to open up the exhaust from the heads on. If you are already running headers and 2" or bigger duals then you'll be ok. If you have single exhaust, you'll want to run headers and minimum 2 1/2" exhaust throughout. I would recommend 3" but that doesn't work with everyones budget. Call around to some cam manufacturers and tell them what you are looking to do. They should be able to tell you exactly what you'll need for internals and the type of performance you are looking for. I am building a 454 that will run a small blower. I am building it to 8.5:1 compression, having the exhaust ports opened up, running a blower cam, my stock q-jet carb (worked over for the application), and 2 1/2" duals from the headers out. I am building it for reliability and performance. The blower will make all the power I need when I step on the gas. That is the great thing about blowers. They are the most cost effective power upgrade you can do. You get better milage and street manners until you get on it. Then she turns from nice to naughty in a hurry! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. milspecjimmy

milspecjimmy 1/2 ton status

ahhh the super charged world. depending on your application and what type of blower you want to run, you can have a compression ratio any where from 7:1, all the way to 15:1. it depends alot on heads, cam lift and duration, timing, and what type of fuel you plan on running. ive put together a few mild s/c motors /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif. the one i am doing now might be of help to you as far as what to run with specs.
    350 corvette LT-1 block w/13,000 miles
    stock crank and rods
    TRW flat top pistons
    AFR 210cc LT-4 race ready heads w/2.10-1.60 valves
    crane cams powermax cam 538/558 lift @ 299/304 duration
    total seal gapless rings
    scorpion 1.6:1 roller rockers
    AFR stud girdles
    Lingenfelter LT-4 ported and polished intake
    Lingenfelter twin 58mm TB
    Vortech V2-S s/c
    crane HI-6 ignitoin with an in cocpit timing retard
    Hooker port matched super comp headders
    Spec stage 4 clutch, pressure plate
    Spec 13lb billet fly wheel.
    Borla exhaust

this should go pretty good, looking for 720hp at the crank. i am also going to run 9.1:1 compression in it with 15lbs of boost, and its primary use will be at the track. high octane fuel will be run all the time, and its probably only going to see 3 or 4 thousand miles each summer. you can see pics on my web shots under vette project. Just to let you know it takes a lot of good stuff and a lot of money to build a good reliable S/C motor. good luck. i am available any time if you need any help, just pm me
    /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

10. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Looks like your running some good gear! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I am not building mine to be a go fast down the track rig. I am building it to run in my blazer. My 454 that I built to go real fast and straight in my chevelle was a monster. I sunk a ton of $$ into that one. I was just offering some things to consider when you want to build a reliable, streetable rig. If we went into build spec's this could turn into a truly confusing thread for a lot of folks. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif Sounds like you know your shiznit though! We may need to chat sometime. I always like to hear /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif other opinions and pros/cons of different ideas. That's what makes some truly killer mods on and off the track. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. milspecjimmy

milspecjimmy 1/2 ton status

i would say if you went 8.5 - 9.0 on the compression ratio, a good flowing set of heads, some ported 292's or a done up set of 871's. a crane cams power max #1, and a small single carb roots style supercharger, run somewhere around 6-9 ounds of boost and some good gas. it should go for 50k or more, and never need a thing, and cost would be relativly low. just make sure you use some good file fit rings, or the total seals. good luck
    /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif