Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Supercharged blower motor?????

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by transcore1, Apr 21, 2003.

1. transcore1

transcore1 Registered Member

Anyone know how to increase the volume of air discharge at vents with a/c. I just went all the way through my a/c and heat with new everything and it blows like a reluctant Monica Lewinsky. It is getting cold and the blower resistor is OK. It just does not put out enough air volume for a hot Florida day. It is working properly but I would like to increase the air flow past stock if it is possible. I have sealed the blower box to the firewall and disconnected the heater core.

Transcore 1
    89' K5

2. LittlePig

LittlePig 1/2 ton status

You probably either have crap clogging the ducts, or more likely, a flap or door somewhere in the vent system is either not closing tight enough or not opening up enough. Also, you might want to crack open the AC core housing and make sure the core isn't packed with old leaves and bird's nests.

3. transcore1

Everything is new or like new and I completely removed the system and re-installed it. All doors and vents operate as new.
    New evap/dryer/condenser/controls/blower/compressor/motor resistor/etc. It just doesn't come out like a new truck....

Scott

4. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

When it is on "max" does it recirculate or does it still suck air from outside?

If you switched to R134a keep in mind it's not going to be nearly as cold. R134a works at a much higher temperature than R12. You aren't going to be able to get the system to below 38° like you can with R12.

5. transcore1

Sorry I didn't add that I charged with r-12 per specs. I think it was 3.25 pounds. It's ice cold, it just kind of falls out of the vents. My late model suburban will freeze you out. I just need too increase the air volume with a faster blower. I just don't know what woould work.

Scott

6. marine_enlisted

marine_enlisted 1/2 ton status

I was thinking of trying a newer model fan motor, or maybe just the fan itself. I'm not sure but it seem like the newer style fans must have more pitch or something. /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

7. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

OK, get a fan motor for a Suburban with air conditioning or a fan for a Canadian vehicle. They have high-rpm fan motors. They can be spotted by having the rubber tube that goes from the box to the back of the motor. Auto parts stores should have these but you might be better off going junkyarding. If you go junkyarding take a pair of leads with alligator clips on them and hook the fan to your battery to see how fast it spins. If it sounds like its spinning faster than yours then get it.

Next, go to the junkyard and find the deepest depth and largest pitch squirrel cage that'll fit in your vehicle. Usually Suburbans or plow-package pickups with AC had these giant ones. I don't know about K5s. These are hard to find new and when you do find them new they're usually the standard ones that go in non-AC vehicles.

By the way, you have tried applying 12v directly to the fan motor (no switch, no coils) and it still didn't move enough air, right?

8. transcore1

Yes, I did play with direct wire. I also taped all the seams in the ductwork and selaed every seam on the airbox. I am going to the u-pull-it yard this weekend and I will look at different squireel cages and see if I can spot a difference. Also look for a fan with the cooling tube.
    Thanks for the input.

Scott

9. chevy4x4boy

chevy4x4boy Registered Member

yea i'm lucky enough to have one of these coveted canadian blower motors and let me tell you this thing will blow some air!!! too bad my a/c isn't charged but it will be in about a month when the weather around here starts getting hot enough. i hope you are lucky enough to get one of these and good luck going to the junkyard!!
    /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

10. BRN78BLAZER

BRN78BLAZER 1/2 ton status

I put my ac in myself and made sure to seal everything up. And I guess scince I live in Canada I have the Canadian blower motor, all I know is the motor came from a 89 suburban(the rest of the ac is from an 80). But this thing will blow my girlfriends hair back when its on max. It is strong. I never use it on high for heat or def. 3 blows strong enough. I'm glad to find this out cause I hope my a/c blows ice cold when filled.
    /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gifThanks for the info all
    Steve

11. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

I think Chevy Duty sells heavy duty fans's and motors

12. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

There are two blower motors. Non-AC, and AC/Heavy duty heater option. So if you have AC, you have the "strongest" fan motor you could get.

The squirrel cage is the only difference between the HD heater setup and AC, since the AC box/HD heater box is what determines how "deep" the squirrel cage can be, and the HD heater box is only as deep as the standard non-AC box.

13. BigBurban350

BigBurban350 1/2 ton status

hook two 12v batterys in series and attach to the fan power supply and your blower wll blow your socks off(on floor position) /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif