Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Supercharged Diesel????

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by Rusty68, Feb 27, 2003.

1. Rusty68

Rusty68 1/2 ton status

I have been looking at 2 different trucks and cannot decide which would be best. The first is a 93 Dodge cummings 4x4 and the other is a 86 Chevy 3/4, 6.2 Both are about the same shape, but the Dodge makes alot more power. Anyways, I do not know much about the 6.2 engine. I know there are kits to ad a turbo, but what about adding a Paxton supercharger? The reason I ask is I already have one from a 454 project that I never finished. Or am I asking a really stupid question and you all are gonna call me names?:)

2. Judd

Judd 1/2 ton status

No, actually if you already have -use it. Never thought about a Paxton or Vortec type blower. It's actually a decent idea. You will need whittle up some sort of plenum. If I rember right, K&N makes plenums for carbs. You could either make your own out of aluminium sheet or mod a K&N.
    How bout the pulley, does it bolt to the H.Balancer of the 6.2? If not, it wouldn't be that hard to redrill.
    Hmmm, food for thought. Lots of used blowers being sold. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif The low end on these type of blowers are not generally as good as a roots type, but they should be better than a turbo.
    Then again, there might be a reason that no one has played with it much.

3. 4x4dreamer

4x4dreamer 1/2 ton status

This has been brought up a few times if I recall correctly. A search would bring up some of the previous posts where this was discussed at some length.

4. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

I'd go with the dodge/cummins. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Already has 1tons and 4sp auto/np205 or 5sp/np205. The dodge already has an intercooler, a few turns of the pump screws and a free flowing exhaust would make it outperform just about any turbo 6.2.

5. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Do a search but I can tell you supercharging has been used, mostly in racing trucks, and it does work.
    The turbo works on Diesels at low RPM's unlike with cars because of the hi exhaust pressure.
    The simple plumbing of a turbo makes it the easy choice for OEM applications but remember the 6-71 blowers came on Detroit diesels. SO you know it works.

6. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

Don't forget that the Detroit Diesels used superchargers because they were 2 cycles...they wouldn't have run otherwise. The blower forces the air into the cumbustion chamber at the bottom of the piston travel. A 671 Detroit could also be turbocharged, having a turbo mounted so that it blew air into the supercharger. The Detroits are pretty unique that way....being supercharged and turbocharged at the same time! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Casey

7. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

The main differences when using superchargers and turbochargers, is that a supercharger forces air in all the time, so you have boost as soon as you press on the throttle. This gives you instant power, great for racing. Turbochargers have a time lag, and takes some time to build boost, not the best for racing. However, turbos have variable boost capabilities, depending on load and throttle input. This makes them great for towing large loads at various speeds.

If you're into racing, superchargers rule. If you're into towing, turbochargers rule. Since most people tow with diesels, that is the way the manufacturers have gone.

Since you already have a supercharger, I think it would be cool to install it...if you have the skills to fabricate mounting and plumbing. Whipple makes a supercharger kit for the Humvees, so it's not completely unheard of to have a supercharged GM diesel.

As far as the Dodge vs. Chevy question.....well, I don't think there is any doubt the Cummins is a superior motor to the 6.2L.....although the '93 won't have that much of a power gain over the 6.2L. Later models really did. Myself, I don't like the pre '94 Dodge trucks....never cared for the body style or interiors. It's just a personal opinion.

I would go for the Chevy! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Casey

8. 4x4dreamer

4x4dreamer 1/2 ton status

What I tell everyone, and have heard from a number of people is that the 6.2 is a light truck engine and the Cummins is a heavy duty engine (hence no turbo on the 6.2). Plus the technology differences between 82 when the 6.2 was introduced and the new Cummins. 6.2 was pretty hot for it's day, especially for a NA engine.