Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Supercharger: to install, or not to install...

Discussion in '1936-Present Suburban' started by Ddragggon, Aug 5, 2002.

1. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

after reading more about the subject at hand, I want a super on my suburban. ( its for better gas mileage... REALLY I SWEAR!) can anyone come up with any real cons of putting say a Vortech blower, and airbox on my 73 K20, packin' a 350? ( possibly a 454, if I decide to go that way) I'm not worried about smog legalicy, since its a 73, and I can't think of any real reasons not to go for it... can anyone here get me a real reason on why I shouldn't supercharge the sub?

list of Pro's so far include:
    -Better gas mileage ( and I'm serious)
    -Better acceleration, even with 44's...
    -able to beat everyone on the street ( and I don't jsut mean the ricers.. )
    -prolonged engine life,
    -coolness factor....

Con's:
    -I aint got 1000-3000 bucks handy right now.

-Rich

2. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

the only down side i know of for a super charger is that it is there once you turn the key, where as a turbo is only there when you need it.

3. FLASHLIGHT76

FLASHLIGHT76 1/2 ton status

ACTUALLY MY UNDERSTANDING IS THAT THE SUPER CHARGER CAN BE SELECTABLE LIKE A BLOWER AND A TURBO IS ALWAYS RUNNING BUT YOU WON'T NOTICE ITS EFFECTS UNTIL YOU PUT YOUR FOOT DOWN, OR GET THE R'S UP. THE TURBO IS POWERED BY THE ENGINE EXHAUST PUSHING A PROPELLER WHICH IS CONECTED TO AN EMPELLER WHICH DRAWS AIR IN PERPORTIONATELY TO THE EXHAUST. AT LEAST THAT'S WHAT A TRUE TURBO DOES. THE DRAW BACK I SEE IS THAT WITH THAT AVAILABLE PONY'S IS MORE FUEL CONSUMPTION. YES YOU WILL CONSUME MORE FUEL BECAUSE YOU'LL FIND THAT YOU'LL GET ADDICTED TO THE POWER AND HAVE TO GO EVERYWHERE WIDE OPEN! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif NOT THAT THAT IS A BAD THING /forums/images/icons/grin.gif IF YOU ARE USING A SUPERCHARGER OUT OF A VORTEC THERE IS PROBABLY GOING TO BE COMPUTER STUFF INVOLVED IN ORDER TO GET THE CLAIMED GAS MILAGE. COMPUTER BAD!!!! MANUAL CONTROL GOOD!!!! MORE TRAIL PROOF!!! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif JUST MY THOUGHTS ON THE SUBJECT. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif YOUR MIGHT AS WELL GO FOR THE BLOWER ITS CHEAPER I THINK AND YOU CAN USE IT WHEN YOU WANT AND TALK ABOUT THE MANLY FACTOR /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif CAN YOU SAY MORE POWER ARG ARG ARG!!! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

A supercharger makes power ALL the time. From right at idle all the way to the top end. Turbos typically don't start producing usable boost until at least 2,000 RPM or more. A Vortech (The company, not to be confused with GM's line of Vortec (No 'h' on the end) engines) supercharger runs all the time. There is no ability to turn it off and on.

While your 'burb will certainly be more fun to drive, don't plan on any big fuel savings. To make more power, you have to use more air/fuel mixture. You might see a slight improvement at highway cruise speeds, but I'd be surprised. Around town you won't be able to resist that feeling of being shoved back in the seat /forums/images/icons/wink.gif and the fuel mileage will suffer. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

WIth a stock engine, you won't be able to run too much boost. 4-8 PSI is about all you'll be able to run. Any more than that and the engine will start having detonation problems, even with premium fuel. So don't start making bets on racing 'vettes or Turbo Supras. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif To run lots of boost requires an engine that is built just for that purpose. You need to start with king kong strong parts. Forged crank and pistons, O-ringed heads, etc. and a very low compression ratio. Most hard core blower engines have a static compression ratio of 7.5-8:1. This way you can build more boost without getting into detonation problems.

The Vortech blower is usually good for an extra 100 HP on a stock 350. For the cost of the blower and the install kit, you could build a pretty nice engine that would run on regular unleaded. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

5. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

everything I've read about the vortech blower states that with moderate boost ( 5-7 PSI tops) they can effectively double the HP of a crate 350. although most blowers are always on, many have clutches like the infamous mad max blower, which allow one to turn it on or off as needed. centrifigal blowers also produce far less boost at lower speed then standard `roots' or Vane blowers do, due to the physics involved.

I've of course not yet committed myself to a blower, or anything like that, but I am seriously looking into one.

-Rich

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I think that someone is blowing smoke up your skirt. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif 5-7 PSI isn't going to double the power. Even if it did, the crank would break. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif Making the jump from 330 HP to 660 HP isn't as simple as bolting on a huffer. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif That's getting into the realm of internal parts that are made of unobtanium and cost more than the rest of the truck. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

As for the Mad Max clutch-driven Roots blower, I've never seen one in real life. Seems to be one of those Hollywood things. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif It would be pretty hard to get the engine to start without spinning the impellers also. Those things are pretty beefy. If you could come up with a bypass, to let incoming air go around the blower, then you could run without boost. But that's the stuff of future engines from the deep-pockets of the auto makers. I don't know of any such kit available over the counter today.

Blowers are cool, but don't expect to be doing 4-wheel burnouts with 44's in a 6,000 lbs. + Suburban without spending some very serious cash. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

7. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

the only reason I mention the madmax clutch thing, is the book I have mentions them having been made. Paxton had one, that used an AC type clutch to turn it on and off ( its also a centrifical blower)

even if I can't double my power, I still think a blower would be cool... :-P a polished shiney sticking out of the hood, or a cenrifigal hidden under the hood.... who knows,

-Rich

8. holyjohnson

holyjohnson Registered Member

only problem i have with supercharging is heat and internal
    parts strength.but i never been one to say "gee,dont throw a blower on that" the WEIAND blower from MAD MAX was a fake the blower was actually mounted to the water pump heater hose outlet with a valve that opened when the plunger was pulled sent water through the hose and into an impeller that spun the pulley and made it look like it was real there was a holley carb inside the blower,BIG DADDY DON GARLITS makes fake look alike blowers hollowed out with carbs inside.
    i havent seen a clutched blower pulley in person but ive heard of a guy that runs one on a LSR car at muroc.
    all in all id say go for the blower,but dont expect to double the power or just slap it on and go,they take some fine tuning.
    but then again the coolness factor out weighs the cost and work,and few things are cooler then the whine of a 6-71 on the highway.
    couple tips for roots type,if you buy one used get it checked for cracks(used blowers are usually seasoned better and less likely to warp),buy one with blow out valves,dont buy a stripped one(one with teflon strips cut into the impellers)
    goodluck.