Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Supercharger

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by cannibal, Jun 16, 2003.

1. cannibal

cannibal Registered Member

hey all,

say, i've never seen anyone here who adds a supercharger to their engine, just wanna say that i have a 1978 k5 350ci, i wanna know if i can fit a supercharger to this engine ,if yes plz let me know what company does this kinda stuff, if not plz let me know what can i do to increase performance without going big on size...\

thanx, and yeah just wanna know a quick benifits of a supercharger? thanx again

2. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

posting twice wont net you anymore answers....

3. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

You can find anything you want out there for a 350. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

4. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

Well if you mean a centrifical style of supercharger then yes there are not a ton around for the carb. motors. However if you want a roots style of compressor there are quite a few companys that sell a 142 style of compressor that would work great for a carb. motor. Its not to big and works great as a power adder.

5. k5blazerus

k5blazerus 1/2 ton status

I was looking at the one Holley performance sells. It will fit under the hood too with minor modifications.
    Colin

6. 89K1500Chevy

89K1500Chevy 1/2 ton status

I want one cuz it says up to 100 extra ponies running around under my hood NICE yea i could use that power to keep making the ricers look bad when they get beat by a lifted 4x4 MWAHHHHMWAAAHHH yes excellent! /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

7. Terminaltsi

Terminaltsi Registered Member

that small 142 works great, i know a guy with one. just keep in mind that you have to use 93 octane all the time for maximum performance and safety. n ot a big deal if you are accustomed to that , but some people have never used anything but 87 and it blows their minds to have to spend more money for gas when we already only get 10 mpg.
    oh, if you are beating ricers, you aren't racing the right ones! a stock civic with a big wing and muffler doesnt' count, try a mitsubishi eclipse awd turbo or something that actually has some ass behind it!

8. eldon519

eldon519 1/2 ton status

If you get a supercharger you have to be careful if you have a high compression ratio. It probably won't be a problem though cause little blowers don't make that much boost. Another option would be boring and stroking the engine to a 383 for some extra power.

9. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

also have to remember something, I wouldn't put a blower on a high mileage engine. There is a mustang that runs around this area, if he doesn't have the blower on it the engine pretty much doesn't run. With the blower on its worse than a stock 5.0 stang. How many miles does your engine have? Is it stock? You would be better off building a 383 or something similar than just slapping a blower on a stock motor with a good deal of miles. In fact you would probably spend less seeing as most blowers are upwards of 3000+ when all is said and done. And if its a factory motor 8:1 or 8.5:1 compression won't be an issue with a blower pushing say 12lbs of boost.

10. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

yeah I just configured 2 motors on Desktop Dyno. 1 with a 671 Wieand blower, the other just a 383. Alright the Wieand blown motor is pushing 10lbs of boost and running 8:1 compression. It has stock bore, cam, heads, and a very free flowing exhaust. It pushes a max of 424 ft lbs of torque at 3000rpms and a max of 291 hp at 4000 rpms. The 383 uses a simple Comp Cams Extreme Energy cam, 9.5:1 compression, stock 2.02 valve heads(can be picked up cheap in most areas), and small tube headers with mufflers(restrictive compared to the blower stuff). It pushes 427ft lbs of torque at 2500rpms, 422ft lbs at 3000, and 297 hp at 4000 and 4500 rpms. I don't have cam files for Comp Cam Extreme Energy 4x4 cams but they would make more torque most likely. Slap the same blower as above on the 383 and i am making 512 ft lbs of torque at 3000rpms and 369 hp at 4500 rpms. As you can see a built motor or a built motor with a blower is a better idea of a way to go. That wasn't the best setup for a blower just showing how the same motor can do with a blower on it. Better would be with a little less valve overlap and maybe a tad less compression.