Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Supercharger

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by cannibal, Jun 16, 2003.

1. cannibal

cannibal Registered Member

hey all,

say, i've never seen anyone here who adds a supercharger to their engine, just wanna say that i have a 1978 k5 350ci, i wanna know if i can fit a supercharger to this engine ,if yes plz let me know what company does this kinda stuff, if not plz let me know what can i do to increase performance without going big on size...\

thanx, and yeah just wanna know a quick benifits of a supercharger? thanx again

2. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Yeah, you can add a roots type or the brand new centrifugal type to the SBC. Check out Summit Racing or Jegs . But be aware of the stress and heat it adds to the engine, not to mention you might have to cut a hole in the hood and they're pretty damn pricey. The others can chime in on tuning a engine for a supercharger since I don't have a clue /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

3. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

From what I understand, any blower made for a small block Chevy will bolt up to your engine. Roots-style blowers are easy to find. I think Summit has kits starting under $1500. It will require (and probably come with) a new intake manifold. You may need a new hood for clearance. You can also go with a centrifugal blower to save hood clearance, but those kits are more expensive and don't really give any more performance.

The blower increases your volumetric efficiency to well over 100% so that a smaller displacement engine can produce the power of a larger displacement engine. You will also get reasonable gas mileage when you don't drive hard, almost as good as it is now. The torque increases of a roots blower are across the rpm range and smooth, not peaky like a turbocharger. The torque increase actually falls off at higher rpms because the compression of air creates more and more heat.

I think you can get 40-50% more power and still run pump gas, but it will need to be premium. Most of the blower kits can take different size pulleys, so you can adjust your boost to match your short-term driving goals and fuel availability. Probably the least work per horsepower of any mod (except maybe chip upgrades). Very cool. I wish I could do one myself.

4. cannibal

thanx man, i went to summit but they don't have what i need, i searched for 1978 k5 blazer, they only have 1996-2000 models.

5. cannibal

what is (root-style blower)? i wanna ask another q? other than super chargers, what can i do to increase performance for my blazer, i don't wanna go bigger in engine, but i want bigger power, i have a standard 350ci, with all stock manifolds, etc... what would do a major increase in power, header??? mufflers????? or what???? thanx

6. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

7. cannibal

thanx man, u r a bro, a real community, thanx, i'll keep u updated to latest on my blazer. i just want one last thing, is getting a supercharger a good idea or no, or else what to do for performance!!!

8. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Well, I would start with air and exhaust. Get a K&N Air filter, you may even try to fab up some kind of cold air induction but the stock system is fine(or least better than a open element). As for the exhaust, it is very debatable as to which system is best so do a search. After that you can look into a better intake, cam, higher ratio rockers, and the list goes on and on. Speed costs money, how fast do you want to go? [​IMG]

9. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

10. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

a little B&M style blower is probably the best way to get power as long as your engine is in good shape

11. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

being that the guy is in JORDAN, shipping a 4-71 or 6-71 blower might not be very pratical. i dunno about Int'l shipping.

start by going with a good dual plane manifold, HEI, headers, open upthe exuast with duals or a 3" single, give it a good tune up, maybe a aftermarket q-jet.

i wouldn't just bolt on a blower and expect it to work. Blowers have specific needs that may or may not be in your current combo.