Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

superchargers

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by masochist, May 17, 2000.

1. masochist

masochist Newbie

does anyone make a supercharger for an 87 with a 350? it seems as if most kits start with the 88 model year.

i've installed headers, hi-flow cat, flowmaster exhaust, computer chip. trans was just rebuilt. it moves well enough, but i'm still looking for more.

thanks

2. chaka73

chaka73 1/2 ton status

sounds like you want to build a racing Blazer, are you??? that'll be cool.

LOVE MY GREEN GIANT!!!

3. Truckfan2

Truckfan2 1/2 ton status

The reason they're not for '88s and below is because of the pulley/belt setup. In '89 (I'm pretty sure) Chevy put cast aluminum accesory backets on the engines and making it a surpentine belt setup (that's what I have). You could very well go with a Super Charger by getting a factory surpentine belt setup from a j/yard and putting it on the '87 or you could go with an aftermarket bracket system like MARCH Performance. A SC is a costly setup though... I want one when I ecumulate enough $$. That answer it??

NEVER been stuck... *yet*

4. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

if you use the pulley's and brackets from a pickup/blazer thats the newer serp belt. it will go on. You should be able to find one in a junk yard and take all the parts.

your right. I don't understand the jeep thing!

5. Truckfan2

Truckfan2 1/2 ton status

ahhh, that's what I said but it's stated a little clearer.

6. masochist

masochist Newbie

ok. i'll look into it. thanks so much.

7. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

If you're seriously considering a blower, you should be thinking drivetrain upgrades FIRST...a blown 350 with all the goodies you already have will probably grenade the 10-bolt rear the first time you drop the hammer. Just my 2 cents...

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!

8. White Knight

White Knight 1/2 ton status

Also with the supercharge comes a host of little things that have to be maintained with little or no tolerance, with all that air/gas going in everything has to be perfect or not only will you grenade the 10 bolts, that new 350 with all the goodies will look like a small thermonuclear explosion. Good luck and I hope it all works out!

<font color=blue>White Knight</font color=blue>

<font color=green>May the dirt rise to meet you and the wind be at your back always</font color=green>[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

9. Truckfan2

Truckfan2 1/2 ton status

yeah, the fuel... HIGH OCTANE FUEL that is. Fuel is getting mighty expensive and a supercharger in a K5 is going to be alot more than just money to beef up the drivetrain.

10. Andreas

Andreas 1/2 ton status

Aha ! So now we´re two [​IMG] I was thinking of putting a small blower on my 406. Like a 4:71 or a 6:71, gear it very mildly at first and just fiddle around until I get it right. Problem is you have to build your engine around the blower and not the other way around. A blower will spin the bottom right out of your stock engine because it´s boost provides almost instantaneous massive power. And ofcourse you´ll have to lower your compression to 7-8:1. Onwards to the tranny...rebuild? Yep ! Next, a np205 would be in order. Same goes for axles. I wouldn´t go with anything less than a Dana 60. Still, a Blower Blazer would be a sight for sore eyes[​IMG] and I haven´t given that idea up yet. Someday it´ll happen !!

Andreas

406cui of pure sh*t[​IMG]

11. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Oh yeah, there's no doubt it would be cool! I'd love to be able to do it right...it would be a blast to pull some 2000 lb. rice-rocket's punk card at a stoplight with my 6000+ lb. bada$$ Blazer![​IMG]
    Of course, I'd need to scrape up about $10,000 or so to make this happen reliably, so it will continue to be a nice fantasy...[​IMG]

12. Andreas

Andreas 1/2 ton status

Well, 10 grand would definitly cover it...along with gas money for a long time[​IMG]. Weiand/Holley has a complete smallblock 6:71 blower "kit" for around $2300 I think ?? Add some ARP bolts in the bottom (crank) and new low comp pistons. I´d say you could get away with...$5000 maximum (including tranny, tcase and axles). Still a lot of dough[​IMG]. Another expense would be all those tires you burn out ´cause with a blower NOTHING will stop it from blasting your rear wheels to hell (assuming you go 2wd.....with 4wd you´d probably suffer from whiplash everytime you step on it[​IMG]). Yeah, I definitly want one[​IMG]

Andreas

13. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

When I was shopping for my current K5 about 5-6 years ago, there was one for sale in Gresham , OR that had a blower on it. Looked it over, it was a sweet truck, no negatives, so I asked for a test drive. MAN, I thought my old 75 with the 454 had torque. THIS thing pulled like a freaking rocket ship. Only reason I didn't end up buying it was it had an 8" lift and 38" tires..........guy did it right, changed the gears to 4.88's.........at that point I needed it to be a daily driver, and my wife (yep, I am a scared married guy, like many of ya!) told me if I came home with a monster truck I could sleep with it from now on.......and this blower motored Blazer was a monster from day one. TODAY (with a Bonneville as a daily driver) I would DEFINITELY bought it..........you think a Rat has torque, this 350 with a blower flat stuck me back in the seat, with 38"'s for chrissakes.

'79 - 406 w/IROC TPI - K5#5 - a <font color=orange>sickness[​IMG] <font color=blue>you never get enough of!! [​IMG]

14. Andreas

Andreas 1/2 ton status

YEAH !! That´s what I want !! Imagine going in low 4wd between the stoplights in the city, race with Porches and win all the time[​IMG] In low 4wd you get the traction and acceleration from hell. Built and geared right I guess it would go 0-60 in 3-4 seconds.

Andreas

15. dumbfounded

dumbfounded 1/2 ton status

Well I feel I could ad a litte..... Go for it do what it takes a stock engine will hold up to about 6 psi for a while. I have a corvette for a while and I used to street race and go to the strip to eat 5.0's (I hate those things) Well my point is if you have the money for the super charger do it but be leary of other parts breaking due to the gain you want to play you've got to pay. But look at it this way if something breaks fix it stronger an soon enough it will be bullet proof right. As for the belts that is why yours isn't listed as a kit but if you go to a carb set up with a 6-71, or 8-71 it's pully bolts on the outside of the main pully, also a 6-71 with a carb may take a small hood scoop for clearance.......

Blood, sweat, tears, and lots of money is what keeps the k5 alive.

16. Balou

Balou 1/2 ton status

make sure your floor ist rust-free and your driverseat
    is welded in properly when you go for that 4L blow-job,
    hehehehehehehe !!!

Balou
    '79 K5,350,465,205
    [​IMG]"Size DOES matter!!!" said the girl last night [​IMG]

17. Andreas

Andreas 1/2 ton status

18. masochist

masochist Newbie

damn, i thought this was going to be easy. i certainly am no mechanic. compression ratios?
    i don't plan on racing, just wanted to have the power available (especially to squash some rice burner). sure, i might abuse it if i had it. i don't have money to burn, but i do need my toys. i was favoring the vortech supercharger over the roots type such as the holley and weiand. just some advice from my friend art carr who used to race, and is known for his transmissions. i'd be lost in a junk yard, and rely instead on my local mechanic who appreciates cash payment. i appreciate all the replies. anyone favor one type of supercharger over the next?

i didn't realize there was so much to consider.
    thanks for helping in my decisions

19. James90

James90 1/2 ton status

I would like to put one on mine I just dont have the green stuff to get it and do all the mods it would need.

I hope you can get one and the pulleys you need. It would be really cool to see one on a k5. best of luck with it!

Go prepared, To go every where

20. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

I think I read somewhere that the centrifugal blowers (Vortech, Paxton, etc.) are much more civilized for the street, whereas the Roots-type blowers (B&M, BDS, Holley, etc) are the wild animals. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong here.