Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Superchargers?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 84gmcjimmy, Feb 21, 2004.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Hey, I was wondering if there are any superchargers that are good for 4x4ing. And if they arent good for 4x4ing how can I really get my HP up on my 350? I dont really want to rebuild it, but if its the best what should I do to it? This may sound outrageous for some of you guys but I was wanting around 600hp if thats possible for the 350 so what should I do? I have 1 ton axles so I dont need to worry about breaking them. Thanks for the help

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I wouldn't put a blower on a 350 that hadn't been rebuilt for it. You will never make near those horsepower numbers without getting into the motor big time. Blowers are plenty good for offroading, good torque production and all but they are pricy and a good rebuilt engine should be first on the list. Also having good flowing heads, right pistons, good rods, and cam are a must for good power with a blower. Sure there are kits for TBI motors that are just a bolt on blower and yeah it will add lots of power(though only up to what the motor should be from the factory). Besides good heads, cam, and the right compression and ignition you can make A LOT more power with a blower. If I ever come across a centrifugal unit cheap I will not hesitate to slap it on my 350. But I've got a cam designed for bottom end torque, I would redo heads, and my bottom end is already good to take the power. All "cheap" power adders have the added price of quality parts to go with them. I'd really like to build a tube buggy with a stroked LS1 motor, nitrous, and a blower, someday I certainly will do it but the motor will be built for it big time.

3. Wingnutt

Wingnutt 1/2 ton status

Well if you have a lot of miles on yer engine, ya, you can set up the pullies for some serious boost and make around 450-500 HP.....for about three seconds. Then you will be picking up the pieces that have decided to part company with the inside of the engine.

Seriously though, a supercharged engine that makes that kind of power has to be designed to handle that kind of boost. EVERYTHING inside of the engine has to be able to withstand 25+ lbs of boost. Not only do you have to design the engine to handle the boost (mega $$), you will have to upgrade the fuel system to be able to feed the radically incresed fuel demand (you will have to run alky or super high octaine racing fuel), not to mention the emissions considerations. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

You are on the right track about putting super strong axles under it, but you WILL have to build some very stout drive shafts, and I won't go into the stopping issue.

Yes supercharged engines can be built to crank out that much HP, but it involves MUCH, MUCH more than just slapping a blower on it and cutting a hole through the hood. One more thing, when an engine, espically a small block is boosted to the 600hp level, it sure ain't gonna last very long.

BTW, I have a friend who has a race only Nova with an alky burning, supercharged (dyno'ed at 1200hp) 502 in it and he has invested well over $14k in the motor alone. Just for a random factiod, he burns just over 5 gallons of fuel per pass. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

For the HP and torque you're looking for, go big block. To build a motor that'll get you 600 horses, a big block would be much more reliable. Mega power is nice, but not so if it keeps breaking down. Keep in mind the rest of your power train will need to be beefed up to handle the power aswell.

5. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    For the HP and torque you're looking for, go big block. To build a motor that'll get you 600 horses, a big block would be much more reliable. Mega power is nice, but not so if it keeps breaking down. Keep in mind the rest of your power train will need to be beefed up to handle the power aswell.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Yup, Thats the truth brotha!! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif
    You could use one of the little chargers. I had a 144ci B@M street charger on the 400 that was in my truck before. But The current Big block makes more power and cost less to build. Even with the roller cam.
    /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

6. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    Yup, Thats the truth brotha!! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif
    You could use one of the little chargers. I had a 144ci B@M street charger on the 400 that was in my truck before. But The current Big block makes more power and cost less to build. Even with the roller cam.
    /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you have a 454 now? How much power does it have?

7. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

My first K5 (72) had a 454, sm465/NP-205 1-ton axles with 4.56 gears and 35" tires and you could feel the torque. It'd put you back in the seat with no questions asked, and that was a basicly stock motor. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

8. 99firehawk

99firehawk 1/2 ton status

"If I ever come across a centrifugal unit cheap I will not hesitate to slap it on my 350"

How much is cheap ?

9. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Blowers work fine for offroading /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Just get a 454 Gen VI block and build it with all forged bottom end parts, throw some decent heads on it to yield you like 8.5 compression and a good cam and if you STILL want more power, put a blower on it...

Seriously though you can get a BBC into 500+ hp pretty fang easily...

Chris

11. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

I don't really know what actual ponies are. But it has to be over 500 easy. We tried one of those desk top dyno's and came up with 625, but that realistically seems high. I am using the small port heads.

12. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

What is the casting # on the heads you are using? Are they the stock TBI "peanut port" heads? What cam is in there?

Chris

13. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    My first K5 (72) had a 454, sm465/NP-205 1-ton axles with 4.56 gears and 35" tires and you could feel the torque. It'd put you back in the seat with no questions asked, and that was a basicly stock motor. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    How much power do stock 454's have? Where would be a good place to buy/find one?

14. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

There are two kinds of superchargers that are good for offroading. One is the classic roots type and the other kind is twin-screw. They both provide low rpm boost. Centrifigul blowers (like the Vortech) start producing boost at around 2800rpm and don't develop peak until around 3500rpm.

You'll need no less than a 4 bolt main ARP-studded block (preferably splayed-main) with a forged dual-plane crank, forged H-beam rods, forged pistons (preferably Wiseco supercharger pistons), a decent set of heads, and a supercharger-intended cam to make 550hp on a smallblock.

If you're going to spend that kind of money you might as well start off with a junkyard bigblock. It's easy to get 100hp/liter out of a BBC on 7lbs of boost.

Roots blowers are only good for about 9psi before they need an aftercooler. Twin-screw blowers are good for at least 13psi before they need an aftercooler.

15. wasted wages

wasted wages 3/4 ton status

If you run reasonable amount of boost,,, a properly built engine will last a long time. If you expect to run insane boost pressure (25 psi??? Yikes!!) you can expect short engine life. I run 6 psi with a 6-71 and 2 750 holley's on a 454 H.O. crate motor and make some serious horsepower.
    I mean how much horsepower do you really need? I can stomp the throttle from a stand still and with a detroit locked rear (4.56),boil 17x40 inch tires.The truck goes sideways and comes out of the hole smoking.Off road in 4 wheel drive high range I can throw 30 ft roostertails off all 4 wheels.And this is all done at less than 5200 Rpm's.

I can flip the top and bottom pulley's and make 12 psi of boost and about 850 HP,,but why? The current setup is plenty
    of fun,and more boost will only make the engine more tempermental and shorten it's life,,oh BTW this truck is a daily driver around the Houston Texas area.

16. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

My wife's car has a supercharger! Oh yeah, its a GTP, too! /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

17. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    How much power do stock 454's have? Where would be a good place to buy/find one?

[/ QUOTE ] Honestly, I don't know what it's HP was. Where to get a 454 ??? Watch the paper, call salvage yards, ...ect, or you could buy a create engine is you got the fundage. GM has a 502hp 502 create motor, but it's alittle spendy in my opinion.

18. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I was looking at a GM performance parts 454 H.O. from JEGS.com It costs $4699.99 before taxes and sh*t. It says:

The 454 H.O. big block crate engine is an awesome value, ready for an easy transplant into your classic muscle car or street rod (or 4x4 /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif)! This Gen VI based block features rectangular port open chamber cast iron heads, big valve, forged pistons, forged steel crankshaft, forged connecting rods, four bolt mains and a conventional style mechanical fuel pump boss. Sounds a lot like the performance big blocks of the 60's. When you add features like a steel hydraulic roller camshaft, shotpeened rods, windage tray, one-piece rear main seal, high speed single roller timing chain and an 8.75:1 compression ratio that is completely satisfied sipping on todays premium fuel with absolutly no appetite for lead, octane boosters or other fuel additives, then you know this is the performance big block of today.

Key Features:

425 HP @ 5250 RPM, 500 ft/lbs. @ 3250 RPM
    8.75:1 Compression Ratio
    Cast-Iron Four Bolt Main Block
    Forged Steel Crankshaft
    Forged Steel Connecting Rods
    Hydraulic Roller Cam Lift: .510'' Int./.540'' Exh.; Dur. @ .050'': 211° Int./230° Exh.
    Cast Iron Rectangular Port Cylinder Heads w/118cc Combustion Chambers, 2.19'' Intake and 1.88'' Exhaust Valves
    1.7:1 Rocker Arms
    8'' Harmonic Balancer
    14'' Flexplate
    Recommended spark plug- Accel 111-263 or any spark plug with 14mm, .460'' reach, 5/8'' hex, tapered seat, non-projected tip

I might invest in that when the money comes around. Would that be a good buy? What other things can I do to that engine to get the ponies up higher than the rated 425? Thanks for the help guys... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

19. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

20. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

How much does that one cost? Doesn't it say it should be used with only pre 76- and earlier? What did you think about that 454? Not a good choice or what? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif