Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Supercharging a 454 BB thats carburated

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MrArmyAnt, Jul 6, 2006.

1. MrArmyAnt

MrArmyAnt 1/2 ton status

Texas, Kick a$$! (Grapevine, DFW; also Norman, OK)
    I don't know a whole lot about forced iduction but someone said that a supercharger on a carburated engine would only produce about 30 extra hp. Isn't that entirely false? I thought most of the strip cars were supercharged and carburated, carburated cars always seem to have more power.

2. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

That is most definately entirely false. It would depend on the engine, the compression ratio, the boost level, the pulley ratios.... etc

Thing you have to worry about the supercharging with a carb is that if you're doing a blow through (aka centrigual style supercharger) you have to be sure the entire carb is under the same pressure other wise you'll get boost comin out the vents and whatnot lol.

3. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

The entire carb does not need to be pressurized. Only have to worry about blowing some air/fuel mixture out of the throttle shaft seals. As long as the fuel bowls are pressurized and you run a boost referenced fuel pump you should be just fine. There are plenty of guys doing it, here's my favorite link:

www.toohighpsi.com

Read about the twin turbo'ed 351w in the blunderturd. Plenty of info on how to set one up and make some serious power. Several carb companies make carbs just for blow through forced induction

Unless it's a draw through (roots type, not turbo'ed) and there are several sources for blower carbs, and information to convert standard carbs for blower use.

Blowers and carbs make serious power and have done so for years. I would think you would have to work real hard to ONLY get 30 hp from a blower.

4. b454rat

b454rat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I had a Drag Racing mag for years that had an article on superchargers. They took a bone stock 454 crate motor, 400-ish horse, and put a charger on it, but can't remember how many carbs. The changed the cam, that was the only mods they did. In underdriven, the motor made over 600 horse. Being underdriven the motor is not working to make power, the blower pulley is turning slower than the crank pulley. In this form the motor would last a long time, depending on driving and treatment of the motor. In overdriven, the motor made over 800 horse, but was working to make that power. I kept that mag for years, I always wanted a blown motor, and 600 horse is nothing to sneeze at. My old car had around 500, and that was a handful, but a blast to drive.

5. MrArmyAnt

MrArmyAnt 1/2 ton status

The 454 im getting has about 405 stock. This would run for times in my 76 monte carlo for a while, then possibly moved up into the k5. Im worried about forced induction and water and mud, I hydrolocked a bmw motor once and It seems forcing water into a motor would be even worse.

6. DEMON44

DEMON44 Low-Tech Redneck

I am absolutely putting the 8-71 I've got onto my BBC (which is going out to 496) I'll be dumbfounded if it doesn't see 800fwhp. It'll still be burning propane too.

7. RampageFSJ

RampageFSJ 1/2 ton status

Was this on pump gas for both power measurements? I wonder if a slightly used 454 could take the overdriven for long, or how long the engine they had could last:thinking: .

8. b454rat

b454rat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

IIRC it was on pump gas, but don't hold me to it. You know how mags are, they run the most expensive stuff they can find and call it real world. I would think a "slightly used" motor would live for awhile, but like with anything it depends on how hard you run it, take care of it, etc. I would love to build a motor like that, but start with a ZZ572......

9. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

that's a helluva start, I'm curious where you plan on finishing with this:D

Whenever Uncle Sam lets me get back to Texas I'm going to put together a blower motor for my tow rig. I thought about building a blower motor for an off-road truck but decided against it because I like to trail ride and I don't think I could keep it cool. A guy in TTC ran a blown 351??? in a jeep one year and it ran fine until his fuel pump quit. As I remember it he finished the tank trap with his buddy sitting on the fender squirting fuel down the carb

10. balterbuilt

balterbuilt 1/2 ton status

if you wanna be the really cool guy on the block you'll do a twin turbo setup and have an 800 hp beast that gets 20mpg. but as for the carb situation, call holley they sell carbs just for turbo and supercharger setups so you don't have to mess with you own.

11. MrArmyAnt

MrArmyAnt 1/2 ton status

So i gues a supercharged 454 would work well at the track. I can get the supercharger through a friend of mine who owns a part shop (wholesale rules). He just got 2 454's in, 405 hp, from chevy with some eddlebrock stuff on it, supposed to be 405 at the crank for 1400 bucks, new engine, not reman.

Supercharger is i think 800... Well see what times i run. maybe in the end ill buy another 454 for the blazer.

12. DEMON44

DEMON44 Low-Tech Redneck

better make sure the bottom end and pistons are built for a blower. I'd have nothing less than forged pistons & crank, 4140 forged H-beam rods, and
    balanced. This is just my oppinion, but I want my stroker blower motor to live and thrive at 800+fwhp. The CR ratio better not be more than 8.5:1-9:1 before the blower either.

13. MrArmyAnt

MrArmyAnt 1/2 ton status

Ah im not getting that into it. I'd like to hover between 6-700 horsepower on this one. I don't know enough about engines or maintenence even to run over 800. I'll wait on this one, for a 19 year old at the strip 650hp would be more than enough. I still have to find an auto tranny for it, manual wont fit, and the stock one is a three speed. Again I don't know a lot but i think 600+ hp would rip that to shreds. Might need a stronger rear end too, or i could just go easy on it :)

14. DEMON44

DEMON44 Low-Tech Redneck

even 600-700 bud, don't short change the bottom end on a blown motor if you want it to survive. And the compression ratio has to be under 9:1 for a blower.

what size blower are you putting on this? rotors stripped? and heads? Inquiring minds want to know :D

15. balterbuilt

balterbuilt 1/2 ton status

strong is good. Hey, send me one of them 1500 454's!!!!!

16. beastofablaze

beastofablaze 1/2 ton status

It will also make you the guy with no money and the guy that had his motor grenade at 100,000 miles if you even make it that far.

17. MrArmyAnt

MrArmyAnt 1/2 ton status

It will be a track car only, and is starting at 0 miles, so thats say 1/4 mile runs, give half miles, so 200,000 races? :)

What size blower do ya'll recomend?