Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Superior D60 shafts and CTMs

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 79Beast, May 23, 2004.

1. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

After stepping up from my 44" TSLs to 44" Boggers, breaking 35 spline stubshafts in my D60 front became frequent. After one too many wheeling trips ended early as a result of front axle failure, I called ORD for a set of chromoly superior D60 axles and a set of CTM Ujoints. They should be here in the next day or two and I'm curious who else has these shafts. I know they are pretty new and mine were the first set through ORD, so who has any type of chromoly shaft or CTM ujoint? Tell me how they have been and how you have maintained them.

2. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Not much help, I've got CTMs setting on a shelf, but no axles. Couldn't afford Supperiors, so I was going for Yukons. But then I heard the "old" Yukons were discontinued and "new" Yukons were coming out for the same price but more competitive with the Yukons quality wise. So, I decided to wait... and wait... and I'm still waiting...

3. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

wow, d60 chromoly axles and CTMs, how much did that set you back. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

sorry, im no help, i still have the stock 10b under my stock k20 /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

4. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

CTMs typically run around $500 for the pair and the Superiors about $2g for the set, depending on where you get them...

5. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

I was talking to Steve the other day about this very subject. we both agreed it was an upgrade that is worth it, especially if you are breaking Spicer 35-spline stuff regularly. Usually, when you break the spicer stuff, it will be cost about $150-200 EACH break depending on what break. If you blow a u-joint, it will probably take the shaft ears w/ it and that can get spendy. If you are doing that 4 times a season, you can have superior shafts paid off quick...But there is also a drawback, IMHO. You move the weakpoint somewhere else. with Superior shafts, what will break instead? Ring and pinion? t-case? driveline? But you BETTER take pics and post them when you get that SWEET setup!!!!

Chris

6. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

I agree about finding another weak link. Right now my weak link is the frame, but I will be boxing it in the next couple months. I have 5.13s and a Detroit in my front axle so it is fairly strong. I have a 1350 yoke on it and a high angle driveshaft with all 1350 ujoints. I guess the weak link will be the 205 or the SM465 output shaft. My goal is for the weak link to be between the tires and ground...everytime.

7. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

After a few fairly abusive runs, the new whoop-daddy axles apear to be holding up. I have yet to break a hub, but I have snapped a 1350 Ujointed front driveshaft. I'm in the process of swapping Dana 60 carrier bearing races for the inner wheel bearing races to gain clearance between the end of the stubshaft and hub dail. I'll know by the end of the week if/how well it works.

8. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Wish I could show you my Superior's /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif The only thing I can show right now is my inner and outer 35 spline spicer shafts with no ears, just two sticks. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

9. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

That sucks about your axles. It's too bad factory Dana axles seem to made from pot metal. If you ever have clearance issues between the stub and hub, I can now say that a Dana 60 carrier bearing race is, in fact, just over 1/8" thicker than a Dana 60 inner wheel bearing race. I have made the swap and it eliminated my clearance problems.

10. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

Well, I gave those front axles quite a workout. They held up really well. In fact, I broke a rear axle in my FF14 about a month ago. I was impressed that the fronts (and rears for that matter) held up to a LONG weekend of Tellico trails. I did every trail there to include whitesmoking all four 44" Boggers on Guardrail to walking right up helicopter pad and lower 2. I would reccommend Superior axles and CTMs to anyone who is throttle happy and has fairly big tires. Unfortunately, my trail testing has been put on hold until next year sometime. I am currently engaged in Operation Enduring Freedom, so it will be next year sometime before I get back to abusing Georgia trails.