Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Superior vs. others & U-joint thoughts

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by blazd88, Feb 13, 2007.

1. blazd88

blazd88 1/2 ton status

Next upgrade will be D-60 axles and U-joints throughout the truck. After reading about the Superior axles(4340 Chromoly) Im pretty convinced that where Im headed but wanted to hear thoughts and experience with or without them. Im definetly going chromo but let me know what ya got. Im running 42s and will soon have 5.13s. Anyone breaking others chromo stuff?

As far a U-joints go the longfields are where Im leaning on this subject. CTMs are beefy(in price too) but Im not convinced its a have to have. Again what ya got and what ya breakin?

Also what size yokes are ya running? Alot of guys say 1350s will last but why not go 1410 or 1450? Not quite sure which route to take at this point becuase Im hoping my 208 will ba replaced soon. SYE and double cardan is the plan. Anyway just running thoughts through the old noggin before I go crazy.

THNX

2. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

It really depends on how hard you are going to wheel it (i.e. full throttle :deal:). 42's hold up pretty well with stock shafts and joints (35 spline outers) as long as the u-joint caps stay in place (i.e. welded or full circle clips).

If you want to go aftermarket stuff superior or alloy usa is the way to go.

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I personally just bought a set of Chromo's for my 10 bolt front. They are Yukon's that I bought through Desert Rat Truck Centers in Tempe,AZ. The price was smokin for a full set w/spicer ujoints.

As for who's chromo's are best that is up for debate. As long as you use a good manufacturer (Superior, Yukon, Alloy USA, etc) you should be fine. In the last 6 months there have been 4 guys in AZ break chromo's for D44's. All were stubs. 2 were Superior, and 2 were Yukon. I would go with who will give you the best price for the money with the best warranty.

The price for my Yukon's was stupid cheap with a 3 year warranty so it was a no brainer.

Stock non-neckdown inner shafts with 35 spline outers do hold up very well like mentioned above. FWP has been FLOGGING his D60 for 5+ years with 38's and 42's. He hasn't broken one to my knowledge. He did wallow a set of ears after about 3 years but hasn't broken one yet. His truck is HEAVY & he is willing & like to FLOG it with 42's & 6:1 Lowrange.

Harley

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

P.S. If you buy Yukon's as a full set with there Super Joints you can get a SMOKIN price on a strong ujoint that way. I personally didn't have the extra money up front for the Super Joints when I bought mine so I will be going with the Bobby Long Longfield Super Joints that you mentioned above. I think they are probably every bit as strong as a CTM and cost less. The warranty is LIFETIME so that is why I am going with them. Plus I like to be different and not as many people run those so I will just to use something different.

For yoke ujoint a 1350 should be strong enough but if you want a little extra then 1410 would be enough. Alot of the AZ guys flog the crap out of 1310's with no breakage including myself. As long as you don't bind them on operation angle you should never break a 1350 or 1410.

Harley

5. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

i like my autozone brute force ones... they work great for me.... :crazy:

and at $30 each for front d60 shafts... that is a good price too

6. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

If you are interested in the superior axles you might want to search pirate4x4, last I heard there was a 6-8 month wait to get axles from them. I would recommend Alloy USA, 10 year no questions asked warranty.

7. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

I went with Yukon 35 spl. moly inners and outers, and longfields for my D60. But since I don't have room to store my axles inside, they're one of the last things I'm going to do before my build. So, I unfortunatly can't give any feedback on them. I got good prices on the shafts, and I got the Longs when they were just out and a bit cheaper. If money wasn't an object, I would probably have checked into some different places like alloy usa, but I would imagine the Yukons will be good enough for me. I don't see myself ever running anything larger than a 40" tire anyway.

I think I did see that someone on texas4x4 has a special on Yukon moly stuff right now.

8. FWP

FWP CRS

Might want to update this post Harley. Mikey broke his 3rd Yukon this weekend. Found this post after a quick search. I was curious.