Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Superlift or Custom Springs?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by RingMaster4x4, Feb 24, 2003.

1. RingMaster4x4

RingMaster4x4 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I need to change the sups. because there been alot of changes done and the springs are sagging. I call a spring shop down here and he told me it would cost too much for him to make them. Anyway here is my question. Do custom springs cost that much more? Is it worth the extra money to have custom springs made and where is a good place to order from?

Thanks for any Info.
    Todd

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Re: Superlift or Custon Springs?

ORD carries the Tough Country springs. Seams alot of people like the TC springs.

3. RingMaster4x4

I am really want a 8"-10" springs. I should have put that in my first post.

4. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I have 3 trucks with superlift suspension 6-8-12 I'm very happy with all of them my 8" lift rides good about like a stock 3/4 ton National Tire & Wheel has good prices on 8" superlifts for 73-91 trucks what gen is your truck /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

5. yellowK20

Wow!! dude your truck badass that frame is awesome why not just build a coilover suspension for it? /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

6. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I have had 3 sets of Superlift springs and have been really happy although they weren't 8inchers. I wouldn't be scared to go with Superlift...

DId you check Alcan? THey have decent prices on custom springs also. I check with National Spring about 6 years ago and they wanted $950 for a set of (4) 4" lift springs for my K5.

7. RingMaster4x4

Thanks for the complement my best friend and his dad built that frame for me. I can't weld worth a crap. That truck is my daily driver and I can't have it apart for any length time. Not just because I have to have it to get around but I was going through withdraws when we took it apart to put the frame under it.

8. RingMaster4x4

Alcon? I have never heard of them. Do they have a website?

9. yellowK20

I know what it's like to have to daily drive the truck you 4-wheel. how tight do you twist that Tall deck??? I have a 366 and a 427 that run great what accessory drives did you use ??? /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

10. RingMaster4x4

I will probley sound dumb but.... when you say twist do you mean RPM's? If so I have hit 5500 once not by choose. You really have me lost when you say "Accessory drives"?

11. yellowK20

sorry yes Rpm's is what I meant. bye accessory drives I mean power steering pump ,alternator etc. /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

12. RingMaster4x4

I had a feeling that I was right. As for accessory drives I have Power Steering and Alternator. I thought about putting the air compresser back on it for onboard air. how do you like your Tall Deck motors I love mine.

13. yellowK20

I haven't got to use them yet cuz' I can't find setups for power steering both engines came from dump trucks without power steering The 427 is rebuilt and has about 12,000 on it the 366 has about 80,000 on it but ran great in the truck it was in the only drives I have is alternator and air compressors (Both trucks had airbrakes) I've heard that these thing build mountains of tourqe but you can't safely rev them pass 4000-4500 max you said you've had yours to 5500? I'd like to build up a 4-door 4x4 tow rig and use the 427 in it the 366 is going in my C30 dually if ever get some time /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

14. RingMaster4x4

Ya like I said I hit 5500 only once. I got mine out of a 10 ton pole truck. It had power steering on it but the power steering pump stuck out to far and rubbed on the factory frame when it would tourqe down. So my friends dad that built the frame came to the rescue and built custom brackets for the power steering and alternator. I can tell you that these motors do make a alot of tourqe and the motors will last for alot longer than standard deck motors. My motor has 100,000+ miles on it and it runs great. Easy to start and doesn't burn oil. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

15. yellowK20

I'll probaly end up makin' brackets for mine also The 427 that I have would make that tandem axle dump truck scoot so I think it should work good for a tow rig /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

16. RingMaster4x4

Does any of you trucks with Superlift springs sag below the the number of inches that they should provied?

17. yellowK20

No they've sagged a little but they lifted my truck higher than then what the spring was rated 6"=7" 8"=9" my 12 " hasn't sagged at all and with stock tires it's about 13 1/2 " taller than it was with newer stock 1 ton springs just about any spring will sag over time especially if your truck is heavy and you wheel it hard or jump it alot I have had very good luck with superlift and I'd recommend them to any body what lift do you have now??? /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

18. RingMaster4x4

I got skyjacker Stiffride and it sagges below. That is why I am changing. I guess that one of your trucks have a big block and one tons.

19. yellowK20

ya my K20 has a .060 454 in it and 4-spd and a 205 and a soon to be swapped in Dana 60 (waiting on gears and a locker) I also run 44" ground hawgs (soon to be TSL's ) I've never run Skyjacker before but my cousin had a skyjacker 6" on his ford and it rode like S!@# . Was your lift new when you put it on your truck??? /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

20. RingMaster4x4

How do you like you Ground Hawgs? That is the tries that I am thinking about switching to.