Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

SuperLift scratch_and_dent Sale

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 1-ton, Jan 20, 2006.

1. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I bought a set of SuperLift extended kevlar front brake hoses from an ebay seller that goes by the seller name scratch_and_dent. I got them at a killer price, and they got to my door in no time flat, but you can see why these hoses are considered a scratch and dent :D. If you notice in the picture that the machining of the heads on the hoses did not go very well. You can see that the heads of the brake hose grew ears. No big deal though, I can cut and gring those babys off in a jiff...no problem.

[​IMG]

2. redneckdude

redneckdude 1/2 ton status

I think they are supposed to be like that. I bought a soft line for my 14bff that had the same type of ears on it...

3. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

They're supposed to be like that. Some applications use those ears to prevent the line from turning while tightening the bolt.

4. 1-ton

Hmmm, I tried test fitting these hoses, and the ears cause the head of the hose to not sit completly flush on the caliper. If I clearance the ears a little more, then the ear would clear the caliper, but for now they cause the head of the hose to sit a slight angle, instead of flush.

5. 1-ton

Well, I got them to fit flush. I had to grind about 1/16 of an inch off of the flat side of the ear. The metal on these is very very soft, so I had to be real carefull, and hold it to the flat side on my grinding wheel for about only 2 seconds. I thought since these things where obstructing the hoses from fitting, they where some kind of machining mistake, but after you guy's replies, I can see now how they where supposed to fit. Thanks.

6. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Theres nothing wrong with those "ears".

Those types of hose fittings fit the 1st. Design axles which are the Dana 44's. The holes are larger than what the 10 bolt front calipers use. The holes on your lines will fit the 7/16" banjo bolt where the 10 bolt fits the 10mm banjos.

I'm betting you are using 10 bolt type calipers with 10mm banjos and the D44 type hoses with a slightly larger hole. The seats where the hose ends sit are different on both types of calipers. Thats why you probably had to grind the "ears".

7. 1-ton

Actaully, they are going onto a Dana 60, with the large 1 ton calipers. The reason they would not fit is because the square part of the head on the brake hose sits down in a square channel cut into the caliper. This channel is what keeps the hose in position, so it will not spin while tightening it. all the ears (except one) where flush with the brake hose head. I had to grind the ears back a little to have some square edge on the brake hose head, which could fit down into the square channel cut into the caliper.

8. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

d 60 uses the same 10mm bolt as a 10 bolt