Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Superlift spring eye size :: PROBLEM SOLVED. Includes part numbers

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MaxCrack, Apr 5, 2003.

1. MaxCrack

MaxCrack 1/2 ton status

About two years ago I bought some front springs from 4WPW that I thought were for my truck (75 Blazer). I just got around to putting them on Friday. I did not realize until after I completely removed both springs that the spring eye on the front of the old springs is larger than the spring eye on the front of the new springs. The old ones use a 9/16" bolt in the front. The new ones are the same size on both ends which would be a 1/2" bolt using the bushings and sleeves they provided. Bad news is that the springs have been in my possession for a couple years AND I just drilled them to move the axle forward 1.5" so I think returning them may be rather difficult.

My questions are...

1.a. Did they give me the wrong springs?
    1.b. Are the old springs the stock size or did a previous owner upgrade to the 9/16" hanger bolt?
    2. Does anyone know if I can drill out the new poly urethane bushings to fit the old 9/16" bolt and sleeve?
    3. Any other suggestions or things to think about?

Thanks.
    *************SOLUTION*************
    Superlift part #'s
    01-235-06 Six inch front springs for a 75 Blazer (and many other things)
    315 Bushings for above springs
    315-88 Sleeve kit for 9/16" Bolt in above bushings

The problem came from the fact that Superlift has the wrong description for this part number 315-88 in their parts book. It (the sleeve kit) is not for '73-'87 Blazers, according to this book, which actually have the 9/16" bolt and need this part. According to the book that 4WPW has, it is for '88-'91 Blazers. Which we now know, have 1/2" bolts. I finally got a guy at 4WPW to call the Superlift tech line and ask what to do to use 9/16" bolts without mentioning a model year, as, I have no doubt, this would have confused someone.

2. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

Re: Question about spring eye size

you might give 4WPW a call to see if they have the 9/16" bushings. i know that mine are 1/2" in my '88 K5. and my buddy has an '84 K5 but the rear bushings on his front springs are 7/16" i think. i know they are smaller than mine. so chevy might have just stuck in whatever size bushings they had in stock. you might check with a dealer also and see if the '75's came with the 9/16" bolts.

3. JIMs70K25

JIMs70K25 1/2 ton status

Just to add to the confusion: My front springs stock were 9/16 front and 7/16 rear. TC springs were 9/16 front and w/ new ORD shackles 1/2" rear. You should be able to get bushings relatively cheap at a local shop. It's not so much the bushing as it is the sleeve. The only difference in the 1/2 and 7/16 I had was the diameter of the sleeve the bushings were the same. Hopefully this makes sense.

4. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

All front spring eye bolts are 9/16" bolts, the rear shackle bolts though were 7/16" until 1988 then starting in 1989 GM changed them to 1/2"

5. MaxCrack

MaxCrack 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    All front spring eye bolts are 9/16" bolts, the rear shackle bolts though were 7/16" until 1988 then starting in 1989 GM changed them to 1/2"

[/ QUOTE ]

So did they give me the wrong springs or do I just need bushings that fit the small spring eye and the big bolt and sleeve.

6. MaxCrack

MaxCrack 1/2 ton status

7. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

Superlift uses the same bushings size everywhere but changes the metal sleeve thickness to match the bolt.