Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Superman's dead.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by gjk5, Oct 11, 2004.

1. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Superman\'s dead.

CHRISTOPHER REEVE DIES

`Superman' star dies at 52

Christopher Reeve, the star of the "Superman" movies whose near-fatal riding accident nine years ago turned him into a worldwide advocate for spinal cord research, died Sunday of heart failure, his publicist said. He was 52.

Reeve fell into a coma Saturday after going into cardiac arrest while at his New York home, his publicist, Wesley Combs told The Associated Press by phone from Washington, D.C., on Sunday night. His family was at his side at the time of death.

Reeve was being treated at Northern Westchester Hospital for a pressure wound, a common complication for people living with paralysis. In the past week, the wound had become severely infected, resulting in a serious systemic infection.

"On behalf of my entire family, I want to thank Northern Westchester Hospital for the excellent care they provided to my husband," Dana Reeve, Christopher's wife, said in a statement. "I also want to thank his personal staff of nurses and aides, as well as the millions of fans from around the world who have supported and loved my husband over the years."

Reeve broke his neck in May 1995 when he was thrown from his horse during an equestrian competition in Culpeper, Va.

/forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Re: Superman\'s dead.

This sucks , I thought he would eventually walk again . He made some progress a couple years back with his finger /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

3. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

RIP Christopher Reeve /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

4. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Yeah, I was really holding out hope for him. I was sure he would at least gain more motor functions.

5. BOWTIE

BOWTIE 1/2 ton status

6. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

that sucks
    he was able to breath on his own for quite some time, and could move his arm a little, that sucks, he did make so many think about the reaserch in to spinal repair.

whats that song?

7. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

R.I.P...................... /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

8. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

A good man. Used his body and situation on experimental procedures for himself and others. That man went through alot.

R.I.P. Superman.

9. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Saw a quote where one of his Docs said he forced them (his doctors) to re-think what could and couldn't be done by a person in his situation. That's a pretty good legacy to leave behind.

Mr. Reeves, Your ride's here.

10. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I just read another article today on him . It said he had recently gotten some of the sensation back in his bidy , and could move his limbs just a bit . This is sad , he may of gotten a little better before he got too old /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

11. balzackks84

balzackks84 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

The irony.

12. juanblzer

juanblzer 1/2 ton status

It is sad that he is dead. Losing life is terrible but he is not the hero everyone says he is.
    He did research for an injury he had.
    A hero would be someone who researches cancer after they are forced into a wheelchair due to a spinal injury. I am not trying to be cold but all this talk about his acting career and his tireless efforts to aid spinal injury victims... lets us not focus on true heros.

13. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    It is sad that he is dead. Losing life is terrible but he is not the hero everyone says he is.
    He did research for an injury he had.
    A hero would be someone who researches cancer after they are forced into a wheelchair due to a spinal injury. I am not trying to be cold but all this talk about his acting career and his tireless efforts to aid spinal injury victims... lets us not focus on true heros.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think anyone on here even came close to putting out that rationale. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

I think it's patently obvious that he did what he did due to his own condition, I don't think he's a hero, just a guy who pulled the short straw in life, and seemed to play the hand he was dealt pretty well.

14. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

You make a good point. I wonder how many people there are/were in similar situations that had even more drive than he did, but didn't have the money or fame to get anything done with it. I wonder if he would've faded away had he not had the accident.

Hats off to him for his strength of will.

15. Ruthven13

Ruthven13 1/2 ton status

I do respect what he has done, though it was due to his own misfortune. he gave hope and inspiration to a whole lot of people. Yet he was no angel either. At Kessler Rehabilitation he demanded special treatment from the staff and was a general pain in the ass. The staff could not wait until he left. I know this because that Kessler is in the next town and I have spoken with some people who worked there. All negatives aside, the advances made possible because of him will not be forgotten.
    This is a man who has been a true inspiration to me. I have personally known him for years and refurbished the inside of his new house to make it wheelchair accessable. He took his disability and uses it to help and inspire other people, with or without a disability. There isn't anything he can't do.

16. juanblzer

juanblzer 1/2 ton status

I just wish people with "gobs" of money would be charitable to causes such as spinal injury research before it directly effects them. When it directly effects them it really puts their philanthropic endeavors in question.