Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

supervisors suck.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by jekbrown, Mar 28, 2006.

1. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

man my "boss" pissed me off today. Where I work we are supposed to be on day shift for 3 months, then rotate to swing shift... and so on every 3 months. This is no biggie... so long as its regular, so you can schedule errands, appointments and crap. Additionally, swing shift guy gets 10% more pay for a shift differential.

A week ago he told us that we'd be rotating the 1st of May. Ok, fine... that'd give me 3.5 months on day shift, but whatever. Today I put in a PTO request for the 25th and 26th of May. As is his habit, he (apparently) punished me for daring to take my paid time off. I come back from the vault today and he says "plan on working days until June". Me: "why?"... him: "payroll can't change the shift differential before then... why, you want to work nights with day shift pay"? What an ass.

Last shift rotation, I was only on nights for 2 months... why did I get changed a month early? Who knows... but I had put in a PTO request the day before. I was having surgery on my kidney that time and when I asked why I was being taken off nights early he says "because your surgery".... which wasn't for 4 weeks.

Now the best part. Today I get off work, I call HR on my phone and talk to the payroll people. They confirm what I already knew... that he can change who gets the shift differential any time, so long as its before the start of a new pay period. In other words, one 3 minute phone call and the differential can be set up... a maximum of 14 days in advace... a minimum of 1 if you call the day before the new pay week starts. Anyway, he told me today that payroll couldn't do it before then.... 65 days in advance. ****ing liar. As if that wasn't enough, he tries talking to me the rest of the day like we should still be all buddy-buddy after he got done ****ing me in the ass. Losing differential costs me around $150 a month + more money in my 401k. He's screwing me for a bill and a half and he wants me to act all nice to him? what a ****ing joke. The other guard has got so tired of his lame bull**** that he doesn't even talk to my boss anymore. If he asks him a direct question about the job, he'll answer (yes/no)... if he says anything else he just ignores him or shrugs. Time for me to start the same treatment I guess. I'm also going to start talking a LOT of mondays off. 3 day weekend for me, and because I'll be gone, my boss has to come into the vault early to open. Short weekend for you buddy! :mad:

On top of all that, my boss is woefully ignorant of the job. He doesn't know how to do anything. He's been there for almost 5 years... with the same PC.. and he still has trouble logging on to it sometimes. Good lord. Why someone higher up than him thought he was a good candidate for this job... yikes, talk about a bad judge of character. Anyone else have a boss that is so ****ed up?

tomorow I'm going to write up a memo that says "good news Boss, I talked to the payroll people and they have upgraded their system... now they can change shift differential within 2 weeks" and see what he says.

j

2. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

I would hate to be Your boss Jek. Lets just say You can carry on a pretty good argument.:wink1:

3. jekbrown

I do what I can. :grin: Things have been building up for a while, and its going to come to a head. Who knows what he is thinking, but my guess is he just doesn't want to work with the night shift guy. Thats fine... I don't care if they want to kill each other. What I do care about is when they make their little issues become MY problem by ripping me off for a bunch of $$$. It seems I'm going to be working days for 5 months... thats $300 lost. Son of a biotch. :mad:

btw, when the other guy is being rotated to nights there is never ANY problem getting his pay set up... ever. Did it in less than 3 weeks notice one time. I'm not sure if my boss thinks I'm an idiot (I have a BS from PSU... he hardly got out of highschool....) or he is just screwing me over... either way, the "buddy buddy" **** is over with.

j

4. jekbrown

update:

boss came in today and I didn't talk to him all morning. Lunch time rolls around and he comes over...

him: "ok Jason, whats wrong?"

me: "whats wrong? I don't want to work on days for 5 months, I get shorted on differential pay"

him: "well, i make the schedule and it comes with the job"

me: "thats right, you do.. you can do the shift rotations whenever you want.... <pause for 2 seconds> just don't expect me to sit here and be happy about it while I'm losing $150 a month because of it."

him: "happy employees are better employees."

me: "thats true, what are we gonna do about it?"

few mins of useless conversation later...

him: "correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't I say that we might wait until June to rotate shifts?"

me: (knowing that isn't the case, but allowing the guy an "out"...) "yeah, I think so"

him: "ok then, I'll call payroll and see what we can do."

At that point things got better between the two of us and the tension level dropped quite a bit. I have this problem sometimes in work environments... I was a Marine grunt. Grunts grumble/bitch about orders, but always do what they are told. Post-Corps that leads me to tend to do whatever the boss says. I think some bosses might see that over time and think "this guy is a doormat"... when that really isn't the case. At any rate, I don't know if my current boss had that illusion or not, but I think I cleared it up.

Good part is that I kept my "nuclear options" in reserve just in case I need it later. I know for a fact that payroll can change the shift pay at any time... because I called and asked them. If he tries to take it to the next level, that little tidbit is coming into play. Thats the tac-nuke. The mother of all H-bomb nukes is putting the phone on speaker-phone and calling HR/payroll right in front of him and asking them.

j

5. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Useful escalation and de-escalation techniques are useful in any confrontation ;)

6. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Damn being the tight wad that You are You must be pissed:D

7. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

If your boss is female sucking can be a bonus.

8. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Yeah just ask Skulz n Bones:D

9. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

You mean Hummer n Bonz.

10. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Yeah that dork!

11. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

You work at a bank, Jekbrown?