Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Superwinch...what do you guys think of them?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by yunit, Feb 7, 2002.

1. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

I can get any Superwinch through my cousin at dealer cost. Does anyone here use one? What model? And how do you like it? Thanks, Pete.

1987 Jimmy Sierra Classic, Palisades Park, NJ 07650
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/yunit>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/yunit</a>

2. hawglet

hawglet 1/2 ton status

First off many people may have had a better experience with them then I but a buddy had 3 before he decided to go with something else, he wound up with a Ramsey and loves it. He had either a 9000 or 9500 lb like 3.5 horse I think on his toyota which has 32's on it. It always stalled out unless you used a snatch block and we got it stalled a couple of different times like that two. Keep in mind all of this is in mud not on rocks/slate.All three of them wound up burning the motor up or constanly blow fuses. Ramsey is made by Warn many off the parts are actually interchangable too, many people don't realize this. I found out from a good friend's dad's friend ( still with me) which was part owner of Warn. Ramsey is considerablly cheaper than Warn but a little more expensive than Superwinch. Another way to look at it is, if you don't have a winch and the price is like half of say Ramsey retail price, it's better than what you have now. If nothing else buy it and put it in the paper for sale make a little money on it and buy warn or ramsey.

This has only been my experience though so get some more opinions and weigh them all out against each other. I'm saying you get what you pay for 99.9% of the time.

Thanks, (in advance)
    Hawglet
    hawglet@excite.com

3. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

New Jersey huh.......winches @ cost huh.....looking for a winch...live 35min away.....ill be your best friend[​IMG][​IMG]
    i dont have any of their winches, but i love the hubs i have, if that's any sort of quality reasurance.

beligerence doesn't justify intelligence.
    <font color=blue>wheelers hate posers.</font color=blue>
    <font color=red>79k15/400/700r4/205/38.5</font color=red>

4. Dieselmh

Dieselmh 1/2 ton status

I'm not sure about the big winches, but I've had 2 of their 2,000 lb winches on my fourwheelers and hated them. They seemed to pull too much current, and not pull enough weight. I had new batteries, and made sure that my electrical system was charging, and if I lugged the winch at all, it would actually kill the machine. I would then have to crank it back up, let the battery charge for a while, then start winching in very short bursts (about 5 seconds at a time.) Their big winches may be better, but I wouldn't risk it personally.

Diesel

Shouldn't it be called uncommon sense?