Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Support made for hydroboost brake and hydraulic clutch cylinder

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Yukon Jack, Nov 7, 2003.

1. Yukon Jack

Yukon Jack 1/2 ton status

Nothing major but a buddy made this plate for me to mount on my firewall to gain some strength. It is amazing watching a plasma cutter at work. Having another friend who is a machinist make a shim so when I mount the hydraulic clutch, the rod will be angled correctly at the clutch pedal.

[​IMG]

2. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

how much of a shim? and did your hydroboost have bolts in the firewall or on the mounting plate for the booster?

nice work buy the way.

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

yes we all need plasma cutters /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

4. jeffro

jeffro 1/2 ton status

I'm going to need to fab up something similar to put my hydro on my 1st gen. The only issue I think will be the length of the pushrod.

5. Yukon Jack

The shim I am having made is like 2 7/8" square and at the thickest point it will be 5/8" thick and it will reduce down to zero. I went ahead and had my friend cut a 1 1/4" hole for the cylinder and I will drill the holes in the shim for mounting the hydraulic cylinder so I can get that exactly correct.

The bolts will go from the cylinder through the firewall and then I will probably try to use reinforcement points like the factory did. Should be easy to tie it in somewhere.

The push rod will be cut and then threaded. Then I will add on an Heim joint that hopefully will get me the necessary length and will allow me to adjust it properly. I will try to allow the pedal's normal at rest point for disengagement and then I will need to fab up a stop so the pedal is not pressed too far in. If it seems like the pedal movement is too short, I might make a slip type connection so the pedal can be pushed a certain distance before it starts engage. Just have to see on that.

I've said it before, my project goes no where with out friends, both on this board and locally. I don't weld and my welding/plasma buddy has been a life saver. My machinist has saved me some big money too. When I started this project I put out a post in within a few hours I had pictures of how a member did a hydraulic clutch on his first gen. Really helped me figure out how to proceed. Guess the above needs to go in the testimonial post /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I will post some pics of the shim and as this progresses soon.

6. Yukon Jack

Finally have had time to do more on my hydroboost. Got the hydraulic clutch cylinder mounted, had a shim made to position the push rod correctly. Cut the rod, threaded it and attached a 5/16 Heim joint and have it temporarily attached to the pedal. Still need to cut the clevis pin down to size. In this position I get full travel and it doesn't bind when cycling. May need to make a stop to keep pedal from going to far when pushed in. Not sure on that. Next project is to get the hydroboost brake cylinder mounted and it's pushrod attached to the brake pedal.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Nice! VERY NICE!
    Me like!
    I will start tearin into my 'project' very soon!
    Thanks for the pics Bro!

8. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

Good Job man...It is a beetch to get these dam rods lined up...I have to take the pedal back out to get them in the right spot to drill...lol /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    [​IMG]

9. Yukon Jack

Changed the clutch rod end to a clevis rod end rather than a Heim joint. Also got the hydroboost brake cylinder mounted and attached to the brake pedal using a clevis rod end. The clutch push rod was threaded for 5/16" fine thread and the brake pushrod was threaded for 3/8" fine thread. I only have two nuts on the brake booster holding it to the firewall right now, but when it is permanently mounted it will be attached with 6 bolts.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Ahhh so that is what hydroboost looks like /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Burt