Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Support rod on transfer case, the bolt holes are stripped, possible to fix?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by PetaKane, Nov 16, 2002.

1. PetaKane

PetaKane 1/2 ton status

I heard that the support rod is very important and I haven't had mine on for a while. Is there a way I could just make a crossmember that bolts up in line with the case instead of using that rod? That would be a bitch to re-thread. Do they even make taps/dies that big?

2. hammer

hammer 1/2 ton status

yes they do make taps that big thats how the tapped it the first time and its not that hard to do.
    The crossmember idea sounds like it would work. It would be stronger than that bar

3. 95 Silverado

95 Silverado 1/2 ton status

Re: Support rod on transfer case, the bolt holes are stripped, possible to

They sell threaded inserts for repairing stripped bolt holes, called Heli-coils, available at parts stores, it comes as a kit usually, it requires drilling the hole slightly oversize, tapping the hole with the tap in the kit, install the insert, it will now use the original size bolt. The kits aren't cheap but it works. You will need to know the size of the bolt to know what size kit to purchase.