Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Suprise !!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by wasted wages, Jan 29, 2007.

1. wasted wages

wasted wages 3/4 ton status

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

more than the sum of all CK5 members will make in their lifetime...

3. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

The thing that gets me is that we are assuming all lifeforms we will find would be susceptable to the same illnesses, radiation levels, and elements that we are:rolleyes:. You would think scientist with ****ing PHds could think outside of the box.

Ira

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

some do, they are considered crackpots and don't get government grants.

5. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

They also go by known matter in the universe, not just known cells. They can't measure something they don't know about.
    They know certain radiation will alter the atomic composition of most matter that could be used in organic matter.

IE, they could test for and find lead molecules, less susceptible to certain radiations, but lead can't be a component of an organism's cell structure. If an organism was made up of lead and it's atomic structure was therefore not susceptible to radiation damage, it would have some trouble fitting the definition of living organism, having no molecules to use energy, etc.

And we know at cold enough temperatures, atomic movement slows, which would make life functions difficult. It would also be difficult to imagine there are particles other than atoms that could do the job of atoms at those temps. At that point, they'd have to be looking for something they have no idea or clue about. Kinda like telling you I might meet you on the corner of 45th and 6th, but not telling you anything about me so you'd know what to look for, or when I'll be there.
    It would mean they're not looking for something we consider a living organism as we scientifically define it, but probably intelligence.

Maybe they should disclaim it as looking for life as we think we know it...

6. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

well,PETA isn't bitching about rats having to eat Mc Donalds to check weight gain.:dunno: like i said before. if private companies want to check that stuff its cool. but don't waste tax dollars to check a place we are NEVER going to live.