Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

sure adds up fast.... :(

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Sep 3, 2003.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Started sitting down and pricing out the K5 build up. Wow it added up fast. This is my pre project list. In all it added up to $2187.28. Thats not including the TCase rebuild I want to do, anything axles may need, new carb, new u joints, a load of stuff I listed from LMC, and some stereo equipment. And that doesn't include axle purchase. The bulk of it is the 38x12.50 Super Swampers(note not added shipping yet!), and 6" Superlift full spring superride lift. A lot of stuff from ORD too ha. Won't save money going with a TC suspension either, the Superlift setup is $3 cheaper from Tyres1.com. Unless ORD would hook me up with some discount with the membership and big time amount i will be buying /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Why an all spring lift? I have the Superride all spring lift and it's a bit stiff for my tastes, especially in the rear. If I were to do it over again I would definately go for the shackle flip in the rear, when I did my lift they weren't being made as a bolt on kit, and not many people had even done homemade ones. I will be redoing the suspension hopefully next year to get rid of all of the Superlift springs. $2200 is not much money compared to what you'll end up with in your truck, there are lots of guys that have well over $15k into a truck and aren't even close to done (I plead the 5th as to wether or not I'm on that list... /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif). A good rule of thumb is to add up everything you think you need for the project you're doing, then double it. At that point you'll be close to the actual cost. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif</font>

3. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    Started sitting down and pricing out the K5 build up. Wow it added up fast. This is my pre project list. In all it added up to $2187.28. Thats not including the TCase rebuild I want to do, anything axles may need, new carb, new u joints, a load of stuff I listed from LMC, and some stereo equipment. And that doesn't include axle purchase. The bulk of it is the 38x12.50 Super Swampers(note not added shipping yet!), and 6" Superlift full spring superride lift. A lot of stuff from ORD too ha. Won't save money going with a TC suspension either, the Superlift setup is $3 cheaper from Tyres1.com. Unless ORD would hook me up with some discount with the membership and big time amount i will be buying /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

[/ QUOTE ]

Take your "budget" and TRIPLE it.....

You won't believe how fast the money goes once you start. Ask around.....the guys that have added up their receipts are unlikely to want to talk about "the number"!! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

4. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

You better keep adding. I don't even bother to add the cost up anymore, it scares me to much. Donna and I have spent over 6k since March on her 90 and I figure I still need to sink another 3 to 4k into it to get it done. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

5. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Yah i just put 3k of various craop into mine, but I'm all one otnned locked crossovered flex lifted whatnotted at least

Too bad you aren't closer, I could hook you up with a lot of stuff...

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

wrong gettysburg or else it wouldn't be THAT far ha. Yeah I was figuring liek 2k for the whole thing, now i'm thinking like $3000+. Ugh kept thinking of things I need. Ok so the rear springs are out. I have some pretty stiff rear springs, just gonna homemade shackle flip and put greasable bushings in rear. Hopefully that will work out. They seem to flex pretty well and they sit my rear about 2" higher so it should work out. I will by no means be done at the end of this but this is what I'm planning in the next 3 months. I wanted to get a new four wheeler soon too. we shall see how that ends up in a few months.

7. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

Schit! I got over $2200 in my front axle alone and I still do not have 35 spline outers yet! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

I should of stuck to air cooled VW's, it would of been a lot cheaper. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

8. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]

I should of stuck to air cooled VW's, it would of been a lot cheaper. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless you've ever read the Gene Berg catalog!!!

I just sold a Berg Forged 86mm crank and clutch for $2000!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

9. therobzilla

therobzilla 1/2 ton status

This is just not the type of subject material that we discuss in open fourm /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif. Hell it's material edvidence and holds up in court when it comes time for divorce /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif.

I started to add it up once, and it was extremely ugly, and I do mean ugly. I stopped adding when I was in 5 digits.

I don't talk about this much around the wife /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif, hell it's dangerous. She if she ever wanted to purchase the same amount I have spend on the blazer, I would be buying a crapload of new stuff for the house.

This is the very secret number, that's only talked about around the campfire and or not in public. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif.

10. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

Without even going close to talking about that "Number".... Let me give you some excellent advice from experiance.... I suggest this... Take your truck wheeling, take notes on what needs improvements now, and what can wait... i know it all seems like it should be done now, but that's the worst way to do it! Do a lift kit, then go wheel...., do a shackle flip...., then go wheel, do crossover...., then go wheel....., Notice the pattern!!!!! Let me give you a good example.....:

We'll call him Bob.... Bob went out and bought himself a good 87 blazer with a 4" lift and some 35" tires... 350 had a blown head gasket, but the rest of the truck was in good shape! He takes the truck home and the next day invites some friends over to go wheeling and test the new rig.... He takes the blazer out and blows the engine using it excessively rough... Turns to the wife and says that he wanted to know exactly what it could handle to know where it's "weak" spots were.... Well, let's just save some time here.... It's been almost 2 years now, the truck has a rebuilt 350(tweaked), 1 tons, new frame, custom suspension, new TC, locked front/rear, new gears, rebuilt axles, disc brakes in rear, rhinoed intereior, new hummer rims, new tires, high steer, crossover, new bumpers, new driveshafts, and a heck of alot more....... And BOB still hasn't wheeled it since the day he blew the engine.......

Take your truck and wheel it, change a little and wheel some more.... Do it step by step and never one lump some..... If you decomission the truck, it will never make it back till it's all over.... Needless to say, BOB will be wheeling in Oct........... /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Sure... For the last year i've been goin 1 ton... Completely rebuilt the 14FF- detroit, disks, D60 ARB'd full 35 splined, fully rebuilt, crossover, hydro, 38" TSL's, 16x10 rims...
    Over a 5K swap for the K5. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

12. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

I would take it slow. Find as many used parts as possible, such as axles with the gears you want already to save on parts and labor. Do a lift with front springs and a shackle lift in the rear. Don'r replace parts that aren't broken /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

You can probably even find a used set of tires in good condition and save big over new. Anything used is good, someone elses loss, your gain /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Biggest thing to keeping costs down, do all the work you possibly can yourself!

13. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

yeah I still need to do brakes at all 4 corners and somethign with traction in the 14 bolt. Only 3/4 ton for now. I think first things will be, tires, lift, shackle flip. Maybe tcase rebuild(I think bearings at both driveshafts are shot, can wiggle them, may be my vibration source). The thing is all the things I want to do all go along with that. I mean 1" body lift and new body bushings, mine are shot and 1" body will help with clearance on 38s. Stupid to do body bushings and not body lift at same time. Then its stupid to install the lift kit and not the fully greasable bushings i am planning at the sametime. As well I need to install a steering box brace. ONly other things I will do is, stereo, exhaust(has to be done), interior work, and new weatherstripping and random LMC stuff. All except the exhaust can and will be waiting till say christmas time.
    No wife to be accountable too, though my mom sure does bitch when i spend money on the K5.

14. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

We have to face it Guy's, Nothing is cheap anymore. Absolutely nothing. I just placed an order to Summit Racing, and I added it before I placed the call, and it still blew My 210 lb ass off the chair /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif when I saw the total.

It's what we do, and all the Supplier's, Part's House's, Whoever know that We will pay a premium and hardly raise an eyebrow at the premium cost of it. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

15. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I will completely agree with replacing weatherstripping. It's one of the best $200 I spent on my truck, no more wind noise from leaky seals and the windows don't rattle all over the place in the doors anymore. If doorless isn't an option then it's a great plan. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif</font>

16. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

year round daily driver, so yeah new door stripping, window stripping for front windows and back window.

17. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

We'll call him Bob.... Bob went out and bought himself a good 87 blazer with a 4" lift and some 35" tires... 350 had a blown head gasket, but the rest of the truck was in good shape! He takes the truck home and the next day invites some friends over to go wheeling and test the new rig.... He takes the blazer out and blows the engine using it excessively rough... Turns to the wife and says that he wanted to know exactly what it could handle to know where it's "weak" spots were.... Well, let's just save some time here.... It's been almost 2 years now, the truck has a rebuilt 350(tweaked), 1 tons, new frame, custom suspension, new TC, locked front/rear, new gears, rebuilt axles, disc brakes in rear, rhinoed intereior, new hummer rims, new tires, high steer, crossover, new bumpers, new driveshafts, and a heck of alot more....... And BOB still hasn't wheeled it since the day he blew the engine

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this BOB? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif [​IMG]

18. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

the problem is as you learn more about your k5, you begin to see ALL the things that need to be fixed. I am amazed that I drove mine for a couple of year in the condition it was in. The reality of it is that it was just fine for what i needed it for (except for the blocks, carb, interior, tires, rims, intake manifold, distributor, carpet, Por-15, only 1/2 ton running gear, no soft top, old stereo, more por-15, etc.)

19. funkycold

funkycold 1/2 ton status

buying parts for our trucks is kind of like women and shoes. they buy shoes and we never know about it and they don't want to talk about how much they cost or how many are in the closet. we buy parts for our trucks and spend time in the garage or driveway so we don't have to hear about the next pair of shoes that she has to have because they are on sale.

buy it, install it, and enjoy it...

20. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I've dropped almost $6K US into my truck in the last 12 months. Spent $2000 cdn today /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

My list of stuff I still want/need is still very long, but I did start this madness with eyes wide open. Fortunately my wife doesn't read anything here and also doesn't know how much I really spent lately.

It's an expensive hobby (obsession?) and it takes a hell of a lot of money and time to get near what anyone here would call "Done".

Rene