Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

sure fire way to kow if 203 is converted ?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by R72K5, Sep 17, 2002.

1. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

ok with a fresh new post i want ot see any info- in layman's terms- how a person can test a 203 equipped 79 K10 to find out if the 203 has been converted to part time or not. truck does have warn manual hubs and th350, so..

thanks for anything !
    R

2. Redfrog

Redfrog 1/2 ton status

try this: take the rear drive shaft out, put the front on jack stands, lock in the hubs, yank the shifter all the way back and then push it back up one "click" put it in drive
    and see if the front wheels turn. if they do turn it has not been converted. if they don't it has been you will be in "hi" if you yank it all the way back "hi lock"they will turn.

hope this makes sense and helps

3. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

Lock the hubs, but Dont put the t-case in Lock. Get on some loose gravel or dirt and see if it will spin just the rear tires. If it tries to take off instead of spinning the tires then it probably isnt converted.

Another way would be to get under the truck, with t-case not in lock and hubs unlocked, and see if the driveshaft can be turned by hand.

4. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

You may have to do this in Low range if you have big tires and high gears.

5. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

hmm this should be fun,

thanks

6. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

i take it if shaft can be turned then its converted and if wont turn then its still original ? when does the t case diff come into play ? wont the case diff allow the front shaft to turn without the rear one anyways ?

7. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

If it DOES TURN then it probably IS converted. I believe, not totally sure, that the t-case diff is limited slip, so it would take a lot of force to turn it seperately from the rear. I would prefer the first method I mentioned, just to be sure.

8. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

The differential in the tcase is the same as an open diff in your rear axle. If truck is in park and one tire is off ground you cant turn one tire right? If you raise both tires off ground and turn one the other goes at equal speed in opposite direction.

So applying that to the T-case:
    Put tranny in Park and remove rear drive shaft with front axle hubs unlocked (or remove driveshaft).
    If you can turn one output and the other turns in the opposite direction it is acting like a differential and not converted (t-case NOT in lock).

If you turn one output and the other doesnt move it has been converted (again t-case NOT in lock).

9. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

this method ?
    Lock the hubs, but Dont put the t-case in Lock. Get on some loose gravel or dirt and see if it will spin just the rear tires. If it tries to take off instead of spinning the tires then it probably isnt converted.

ive got 31" and 3.07, engine needs cam soon, so i dunno how much torque its gonna put out, but it rained all night last night so is kinda slick out at least and tires are almost bald junk.,.

since a 203 in original config has no 2wd range i can put it in hi or lo minus lock and if i jacked up front wheels off ground and disconnected rear d-shaft the hmmm im lost again... damn,

10. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

Boy, this is looking complicated. All you have to do is unlock the front hubs, put the truck in 4HI or 4LO, not the locked positions. If the truck will go down the road, the case is converted. If it is not converted, all the torque will go to the front driveshaft, and the truck will sit still, or crawl slowly at best.

11. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Tranny in park. Case in low or high (NOT LOC). Wheels chocked, if the parking brake doesn't work. If you can turn the front driveshaft by hand with the hubs unlocked it is converted PERIOD.
    If you can't then it's not converted.

12. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

ok so if is converted then hiloc positions 4x4 hi and loloc position is 4x4 2/1 ratio and lo is 2wd 2/1 ratio and hi is 2wd hi, correct ? ????

with a conversion:

hi loc = 4hi ?
    hi = 2wd ?
    lo = 2wd ?
    lo loc = 4lo ?

13. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

tests so far: burns rear tires with front hubs disengaged, wont any other time that I can tell

with front wheels off ground and engine running and tranny in drive and hubs unlocked i cant get front driveshaft to turn on its own in any range at all, anywhere, thi sis with rear tires on ground.

does rear shaft have to be turning in any given range for front to turn ?? ??

14. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

i dont have such thing as 4 hi or 4 lo on this rig.

15. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

ok, yeah park cables are unhooked so..

gonna try this now, thanks !

16. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

the front driveshaft shaft goes 'click' into park when i try to turn it with tranny in park and case in lo(not loc) and hubs unlocked, the shaft will turn almost maybe a quarter of a turn and then went 'click' or 'clunk' into park or something

please say i have unconverted truck(crosses fingers)

i would try this in hi also, but its hard as a mo fu to discern hi from hi loc on this thing, i need ot remove shifter plate and boot and clean linkage soon.
    thanks for putting up with me, 203 are just too damned complicated i think

thanks

17. 76chevy

76chevy 1/2 ton status

This is another way to tell. Take out the front drive shaft. If the truck is in Hi and you put it in drive and it won't move you have a fulltime case. Put it in 4HI and you should be able to move.

The reason for this is the 203 transfers power to the end that slips until it is locked and then the power is transfered to both output shafts.

18. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

If your sure it isn't in LOC and you can't turn that front shaft with hubs unlocked then it is not converted. With the hubs unlocked throw it in gear front drive shaft should be turning. The truck will not move. If the truck will drive then the Cas is either in loc or it's converted. DO NOT TRY TO GO BACK TO PARK. Shut the engine off till the shaft quits spining then you can go back to park.

19. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

i dont have 4HI range

thanks

20. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

i cant manually spin front shaft with it in lo or hi.... not loc positions, i tried this in lo- second from forward-most range

i just removed my front shaft a bit ago, so i can find longer shaft, the shaft that has been on it is way too short for truck and is overextended, barely is slid together

thanks