Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Sure i have a question but a cool video too!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by B_to_C, Oct 22, 2003.

1. B_to_C

B_to_C 1/2 ton status Author

ok so about a week ago i posted asking what i can do about my front bumper flexing separately from the body and taking out my side markers every time i go off-roading. the answer was: get new body mounts. ok, fair enough.

i want to put on a 2" body lift anyways so i might as well do it all in one shot. the question is... can i realisticly do this in one weekend? this is a northeast truck so it's got all the rust issues. AND i do NOT have a welder, torch, ginder or any other good stuff. i basically have a ratchet set and a floor jack. should i even get myself into this?

Oh yea...the video, this shows what i'm talking about with my bumper flexing with the frame and hurting the body.... go to 5:13 on the video that's where my 15 seconds of glory are. http://www.nerdfancy.com/movies/carnage1019.WMV

this was a trip my club took this past sunday to Carnage Canyon north of Boulder, CO.

2. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

WOW!..... /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Something is WAY wrong with your body mounts....no doubt about that.

Your bumper is wiggling around even just driving over the simple little bumps, and gets freakishly twisted over the actual rock obstacle!!!

Can't help you on estimating time to replace body mounts. Honestly, it doesn't sound like you have much of a tool selection, which usually means everything will take a LONG time.

If you were only swapping mounts, it would be less risky as a weekend project....just loosen up what's there, and slide the new mounts in place. Once you do a body lift, you HAVE to get the whole body disconnected AND deal with all the "little stuff" like fan shroud interferences, shift linkage problems, etc. That stuff can eat up a weekend in a hurry, even with proper tools....

3. RATAH

RATAH 1/2 ton status

Very cool video
    Heeps aint so bad after all

4. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

You have the outer bumper brackets on right?

5. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

I wouldn't start the project yet... I don't have much for tools either but my truck is not my daily driver but I do have a grinder! The grinder is always my backup or frustration dissipater! Lol /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

6. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

holy moly..and i thought my front clip was all over the place!! take a look at those mounts im willing to bet theres basicly nothing there...and yea..do you have the outer brackets on that bumper? on my truck the bottom retainer and bushing are gone do to rust..found this out offroading myself..i went over a bump and BAM my whole front clip bounced up in the air..kinda scary..either that or i bounced them out after i got the truck. but ive never seen twisting like that!

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

dude your bolts are either not there or the mount is rusted out. That is completely disconnecting the body from the frame.

8. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Thats nasty man!

9. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

You need to feed it more, its hungry, keep rocks away from its mouth

10. B_to_C

...never took the outer brackets off, then again i never took the body mounts off either. thanks for the advice guys /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

11. 85army tank

85army tank 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifCool vid. It is kind of funny the only truck on the vid that broke was a ford. I don't know if i should admmit to this but i do like jeeps too. But i agree with the others that is way to much body to frame flex. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

12. Hardcore

Hardcore 1/2 ton status

Your frame may have a crack in it for it to flex that much /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Put in on a ramp and flex it to see where the movement is coming from /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

13. chubbybob

chubbybob 1/2 ton status

if you dont have a torch and a grinder you shouldnt do the bodylift yourself take it to a shop where they have the proper tools and make them give you a flat rate so if they have problems they cant charge you more. im not saying your incapable of doing it yourself but if there is rust you are screwed without the right tools.

14. Mikeyg79

Mikeyg79 Registered Member

It's gone... I try to find cool videos... and they are taken offline... :-(

15. B_to_C

yea the vid was taken offline....haha apparently it was getting over 300 d/l's a day and was in over 30 message boards....one wasn't even in english! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif