Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Sure wanted to use a pun for this...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by fireplug, Dec 13, 2006.

1. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

I need to replace my blower moter, is there a higher cfm design available?

2. GotLabs

GotLabs 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Try the 90ish model GM trucks.

3. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I believe that the highest CFM rating fan was installed in 89 extended cab pickups :)

I know the one in my truck moved a crapload of air!

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

get one with A/C...

A blower motor from a similar truck with A/C has a higher output,wider blower wheel and a permanent magnet motor that runs at higher RPM's than a "standard" non-A/C vehicle uses..those have motors with copper field coils and a narower blower wheel..but the blower wheel on the A/C motor may not fit in a non-A/C heater box,you'll have to swap the old blower wheel onto it if that is the case...

I've used heater blowers out of Mopars in GM trucks..the Dodge trucks and even K-cars have blower motors that run at much higher speeds than the GM ones..they are not a bolt in though,some fenagling is required!..one truck I had I tried adapting a radiator electric fan motor into,that thing blew so much air it cooled off the heat!-was actually TOO fast!..worked great on medium and low speed,but high speed was too much..I could have used it for a leafblower!..:eek1:

I've seen "Heavy Duty" blower motors in the J.C. Whitney catalog,and they are the permanent magnet style--also in "Four Seasons" brand,made by Blue Streak who also sell "Standard" ignition products....also,Chevy vans with A/C and a "heavy duty heater" option had beefy blower motors too..:crazy:

5. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

Thanks for all the responses. For future reference. I tried switching a motor from an '89 Burb into my '76 Blazer and as menioned the box wasn't deep enough. Even switching the fans didn't help. I'll see what I can find at the parts store this afternoon.

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Just go get the one for a truck equipped with the heavy duty heater option. I was a bit upset at a counter person telling me there was no such animal (since I have it on my truck and installed the HD heater myself) but was able to find someplace (Napa perhaps) that would sell me one.

They look just like the AC motors, as they have a vent hole in the outer case. As noted, the AC plastic fan blades (hamster wheel? lol) will NOT fit in a non-AC application. They are "longer" than the non-AC/HD heater boxes will accept. You need to swap the plastic fan, there is no way around that. The motor still spins much faster than the standard ones.

I'm not certain the AC fan motors are any different than the HD heater blower motor, but they will bolt to a non HD/AC box, this much I know.

7. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

GREAT, thanks! You wouldn't happen to have a part number? I'm sure you would've posted it but...

8. dyeager535

You'll have to check the RPO's out somewhere, I suspect "C42" is HD heater, but it could be "C41". I'll post both:

22020945 is the C42 blower motor. Same part # as the AC blower motor, therefore I'd say C42 is HD. Check an RPO page to make sure though.

22048573 is the C41 blower motor.

3037550 is the C42 plastic fan. I was mistaken in thinking they were the same HD and non-HD, apparently something is different, although the non-HD fan will fit I suspect.

3027031 is the C41 plastic fan.

Those are all pretty old part numbers (1988) so if they don't work, you can always have them checked against changes.

9. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

You rock!

Ok I double checked, the C42 is indeed the HD blower, which apparently was not available with RPO C66 (A/C). Just some info for anyone searching in the future.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2006
  10. dyeager535

Wasn't available because the motors are the same, thus no need. Motors spin the same RPM, AC just moves more air because the plastic fan is larger. :)

11. 01maroonz71

01maroonz71 1/2 ton status

tryin to revive an old thread here....my silverado with a/c is barely blowing anything even on high....would the c42 do me right??? anybody done this????

12. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

I would take it apart and see if there are leaves or something blocking airflow.

13. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

Yeah troubleshoot for sure. Little air flow at all is not a usual symptom.

14. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

Well it took me nearly a year to get around to this LOL but I just finally installed it. And holy mother Mary that baby blows, Blows, BLOWS!

I never did change the air box housing thing, as the yards here are picked dry. I used the larger hamster wheel as well, as it is significantly larger than the smaller.

I built up the height of the box off the firewall using faucet packing (big thick washers) and filled in the gap with thick weather stripping. It looks clean and like I said works like crazy!

I also cleaned all electric connections and used dialectric grease to prevent further corrosion.

15. dyeager535

You know, when I was attempting to use the larger fan, I cut a thick sheet of plastic in the shape of a spacer, then realized that if I used the larger fan, with a spacer, the portion that extended out of the box wasn't pulling any air, since it's running against the spacer. :)

Regardless, pretty amazing how much better those motors work eh?

16. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

Hmmm I'm not picturing what you mean.

17. vortec

vortec 1/2 ton status

sounds like he means the adapter/spacer he made obstructs the air movement of part of the fan, since the original hole was never intended for one that big.

when i tested my 1994, the actual output was only 96% of a crapload, since it doesn't run at 100% efficiency. i don't know why we don't just measure in "buttloads". i guess it's because nobody wants to switch to metric. :haha:

18. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

83 K5 Silverado , 93 K2500 , 99 Suburban , all with A/C .

I own all 3 , and the fan blade is the same number stamped on each one .

83 and 93 appear to be nearly the same motor , the 99 has nice little sleeves and bushings on each screw spot for vibration dampening .

19. BGKYK5

BGKYK5 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I think you have your units wrong Vortec, I always thought "load" was the unit and "crap" was just the prefix.

1 buttload = 10 craploads
    1 sh*tload = 10 buttloads = 100 craploads

But maybe that is all a load of crap.

20. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

Thanks for clearing that up :rotfl: