Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

surf fishing

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by thezentree, Sep 6, 2004.

1. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

any of yall into surf fishing? ive tried it a few times up in the outer banks, but no luck. what kind of rigs and bait do yall use? we were using double-hook flounder rigs with pyramid sinkers and squid wings for bait. got a couple good bites, but i just wanna know if there's something better.

oh, and i dont really care what kind of fish it is, as long as its edible. a bluefish or a spanish would be more desireable though /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

On surf fishing? Thats rough trying to get blue fish that close. (as far as I know).

In terms of surf fishing, just dig into the sand and get some fo those craw dads (some other name for them Im sure), hook a couple, and toss the line out. Squid shoulda worked very well too. Got a couple of decent sized pirch (nothing big, less than 1 lb each).

But that was in Cali. Havent tried that on the east coast.

uwharrie (and atison lake) sitll boggles me, cause I havent caught !@#!! there. Got a few decent bites, but that was it.

3. thezentree

freshwater fishing looks like a lot of bug bites and no fish in the cooler to me /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

bluefish run pretty close to shore here, a lot of guys catch them. oh man, and theyre mighty tasty too. a little milk, roll em in flour, and fry em. sooo good. /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif

edit: 1000 posts /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

4. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

I like blue fish too- Usually have to get a private boat though. Those things bite like a !@#!!

5. nc87k5

nc87k5 3/4 ton status

fishpost try this website, they have a message forum and also will let you know what kinda fish is biting at certain beaches in NC.

6. thezentree

awesome, thanks

7. sponsoredbydad

sponsoredbydad Dune Slaying Sand Junkie Premium Member GMOTM Winner

AFTER A HARD DAY FISHING WE PUT OUR BOAT TO BED [A SAND BED] [​IMG] P.S.YOU DONT GET AS SEA SICK THIS WAY

8. ncbloodhound

ncbloodhound 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    In terms of surf fishing, just dig into the sand and get some fo those craw dads (some other name for them Im sure)

[/ QUOTE ]

Those are called sand fleas, or sand crabs. My wife and I stayed out on Cape Lookout for a week and fished all week. The sand fleas worked the best. I caught popano, bluefish, and a HUGE stingray. We bought some shrimp, finger mullet, and squid, but it was hard to keep it fresh. The sand fleas were always fresh. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Also, here is a great site for fishing Cape Lookout (Davis Island).
    http://www.drumwagon.com

9. justwhatido

justwhatido 1/2 ton status

We surf fish regularly. Use pyramid sinkers for weight. Bait depends on what we're fishing for. Pogeys cut in half are great for blue fish. They will be just beyond the first dand bar usually. (Use a wire leader and a treble hook for Blues) Whiting can usually be caught with small pieces of cut bait in the cuts between the sand bar and the beach. Use light tackle. These are really good to eat.
    In the fall, pompano run the gulf coast beaches and sand Fleas caucht on the wave line work best.
    Red fish can be caught off some beaches on the gulf coast and live bait with Flueocarbon leader work best for these.

Of course, you can always catch sharks using large bloody Whole fish for bait. Use Circle hooks and wire leader.

Hope this helps.

/forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

Fred

10. scotto0609

scotto0609 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Try clam bellies,live eels or just fish tins or lures,we are in the heart of striped bass season here in ny!

11. 77blazin

77blazin 1 of a kine K5

Hi,
    You people on the continent must have it made when fishing for blue fish, sharks and rays.
    Out here in Honolulu Hawaii, we got oio "Bonefish", Ulua "Giant Trevally" Barracuda and what ever bites on my 2 hook rigs.
    I've always wanted to try for stripers out on your side, I read and heard so much about these fish, its almost like fighting the big oios' here.
    Mike