Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Surfing at work?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by laketex, Jan 15, 2003.

1. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Who does it and how much is allowed? I dont really want to come out and ask it, but I have internet access at work for work related searches and email, ect. This is a 70 person company with 15 in the office. So what would you suggest? They say personal email is ok as long as I dont open any attachments, but that's all I know. I dont want to screw off on company time, but I wouldn't mind checking ck5 and pirate on my lunch break...some advice?
    /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Any company that won't pay your time to be on CK5 isn't any fun in my opinion !!!!! What do they expect, everyone to be working all the time while on the clock or something ???

3. ChevyDrivnRdneck

ChevyDrivnRdneck 1/2 ton status

ask em what they think about your lunchtime....is it your time and can you spend it at your desk doing what you like. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

lets see...yep still on the clock...thanks boss

5. shewheeler

shewheeler 1/2 ton status

I guess it would be somewhat dependent on what you do for a living. Where I work, we are on a computer all day and web surfing is allowed to an extent. If you are getting done what is supposed to get done, then they don't really say anything. I'm very good at multi-tasking /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

6. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

well when im at school i suf the web a bit(probly why i only get Cs /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif). I say ask em.

7. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

since i work at home, i can "surf" all i want in my undies.... and not get fired /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Just ask a co-worker what the general rule of thumb is. In general I've found that it's not a big deal, just keep it reasonable, you don't want to be putting off work to surf the web. Get freindly with the IT guy too, so you can keep current on what kind of snooping software they use, if any. </font color>

9. delta9blazer

delta9blazer 1/2 ton status

the smilies kill ya at work.
    just keep a spreadsheet or graph open in another app, and learn to use alt+tab to switch between open programs.

and try not to laugh out loud at stuff, work isn't usually hilarious.

10. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I agree with delta. And steer clear of the picture threads til you get home!

My boss has walked in on me twice while surfing ck5. It's funny, cause he walks in and immediately stares at my screen and says, "Whatcha workin' on?". Too late to hide it at that point!

If you break up the time you spend sitting here surfing, and just stop by occasionally, it gets in the way of work less. I usually have about a dozen windows open, and I break between tasks, swinging by CK5 occasionally. For me, it works as a breaker or relief, kind of like when I used to take smoke breaks.

11. BIGJ

BIGJ 1/2 ton status Author

I surf at work some. Being in the professional video graphics field, it helps to surf and look at others work, software updates, tutorials on new software, etc.. I'd say some weeks, I spend at least an hour a day solid on the web. I try to check the boards first thing in the morning before I get going or it gets to be a distraction. BUT, b/c I work with a lot of video and 3/D apps, I get to render a lot, which ties up most of the computer. The only thing that will still work is the browser, so when I'm rendering, I'm surfing /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'd think it would be safe to surf on your break, or before or after hours. And, if it's a fun place to work, they might understand a little surfing every now and then. Bosses can be real pricks when it comes to the internet though. Our network guy was telling me about a guy he knows that set up a tracker on his network when net access was insalled. He wanted to know where they were going, and how long they were there, and it kept up with EVERYTHING. It really ended up running employee morale into the ground b/c everyone felt like they were being spied on, even on their breaks. Most were light surfers, and the ones that surfed all the time, were the usual deadbeats who never got anything done anyway, before internet access. So, it might be a good idea to get to know the network dude, and see if it's kept up with....

BIGJ

12. MilpitasK5

MilpitasK5 1/2 ton status

You would be the best person to make that call. My current job had very minimal objectives so I can sit here all day and surf.
    My previous job kept me so busy I would forget to get lunch.
    I say, as long as you're getting your work done, you're all good. Unless your PC is somewhere that everyone can see it.

13. 87GMCJimmy

87GMCJimmy 1/2 ton status

I surf what I want when I want. The bose doesn't really care as long and the jobs get done and he's making the big $$. But there is alot of accountability for getting the job done!

Mike

14. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

i do it on Marine Corps time. but we have NO work load, and i know the limitations as to where i can and cant go. if i dont know the limitations then surfwatch will tell me. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

I'm a weather forecaster in the Air Force and I sometimes have MUCH freetime on my hands if there aren't any aircrews to brief. Apparently last month I had "A LOT OF FREE TIME". My boss gets a monthly report from the base comm squadron showing who goes to what websites. OUt of approx 5000 military and civilians on my base, I was the #1 user for last month /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
    They don't usually say anything to me because most of the places I visit are either weather, military or fitness related. I don't know how this K5 website is going to fit in. Guess I will find out next month /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

17. 45acpJr

45acpJr 1/2 ton status Premium Member

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    i do it on Marine Corps time. but we have NO work load, and i know the limitations as to where i can and cant go. if i dont know the limitations then surfwatch will tell me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Typical airwing........Swinging with the wing /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

18. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

hey, im sorry i was smart to listen to my recruiter.
    see i was an army brat, so i knew all about the pay from my mom and i knew about all the other crap they can lie to you about. i walked in and told my recruiter what i wanted how i wanted it and when. all he had to do was screen me and send me on my way.

i learned from my moms mistakes.
    grant