Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Surgery or not...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by sled_dog, Jun 27, 2005.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Ruby. Vet thinks her lump could be cancer. She wants to remove it and have it tested. My parents agreed to pay for it if I decide its what I want. I just can't decide. Cancer in Hedgies is usually quick to spread and very invasive. So the lump could well be the "tip of the iceberg". My wonder is if I should just let her live out her life with it. For all I really know the lump is nothing but some odd growth. I can't decide. I'm leaning towards remove it, if its nothing good, if it is cancer, no more. If its cancer just let her live out her life. I'm not fully ready to deal with something like this right now. I know she is just a little ball of spikes, but I love her and shes damn near all I have as of late. I don't know, opinions?

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

i really love my two dogs, but I wouldn't pay for surgery for either of them. Its sad and it sucks, but pets die... its something we have to learn to live with if we are going to have them. Rest assured, even if your little critter has cancer and eventually dies from it, its life will have been MUCH more comfortable and nice than if it had lived in the wild... where sick/weak animals get eaten alive...

j

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

The normal hedgie lifespan is baout 1-2 years in the wild. Shes already lived that long and I expect(even with cancer) she will live another year. I'm not even sure I personally would want the surgery, let alone for her.

4. jekbrown

well, there you have it then. :) love your pet and give 'em lots of attention and stuff. All this crazy $uper $pendy pet surgery, pet cloning etc is just madness. I think a lot of people know they don't give their pet enough attention, so they placate their guilt by $pending a lot of $ on them.

j

5. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

X2

My sentiments exactly.

6. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Unless it would cure her quick and shee would live a lot longer and more comfortably, I wouldn't do it either. Tough call when they are yours. I did just spend $800 on a dog who got hit by a car, but she is better and should live another 9-10 years.

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

its $350 to get this done. I am leaning towards doing it. There is no statement she even has cancer, we won't know until its done. So I don't know. I'm actually leaning towards doing it and leaving it at this. If its cancer, I'll just let her live till she doesn't anymore. If its not, samething.

8. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

I'd get it done. Cancer or not, something that size is probably painful. Better to know than not, and if the procedure itself isn't life threatening, then even if it is cancer at least she won't have some big ball of sh*t pressing on her organs.

9. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

There's my feelings, nicely summarized.
    I've spent a couple thousand on my various dogs over the years, and to me it was worth every penny to know that they weren't suffering. I know they're gonna die someday; if all goes well I know my wife and I will outlive every dog we have for a long time to come. That's life, we know it, so we love 'em for as long as we have 'em.

Allan, I think I've figured this particular dimension of you out enough to know that you'd go without to pay for this if you had to.
    Good enough for me...

10. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I just dropped my dog off with the vet again. It's expensive, but worth it to me. Damn pets are expensive.

11. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

7AM on Wednesday.

12. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Good Luck!...

I wish Ruby all the best!--pray for her recovery,there is power in prayer!..

I had a cat, "Rusty" that had a tumor the vet spotted on top of his head during a routine check up after he had some bowel trouble(constipation)--it just felt like a scab,but he said it was cancer most likely...we did have it removed,at the cost of 150 bucks--it turned out to be a benign cyst,not cancer!--he lived 6 more years and died of kidney failure at age 11..so dont assume the worst right away,like I always do!.. :crazy:

13. jekbrown

ok, now I'm really confused. You're going to pay the $350... but then basically 'not do anything' no matter what the results are? I know you love your pet, but that makes no sense whatsoever. If you love the thing to the point where you want it to live as long as the docs can make it live and co$t is no option... then have the surgery done and treat the cancer (if its there). If you aren't going to do anything beyond the removal/diagnosis, then why pay the $350? thats a lot of green "just to know"... especially since it won't make your pet feel any better or worse...

j

14. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

The surgery is the removal of the main mass(tumor or whatever it is). So if it is cancer this could eliminate it right here and now. Its not just a biopsy. Now if the cancer is through the rest of her body I won't put her through chemo or some other treatments, or very invasive surgery(the present lump is just under the skin).

15. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I'd probably do it for my pup, she's only two years old and my son loves her to death, not to mention I love that dumb beast, too.

But if she were 12 or 13, I might just let it play out. Like Jek said, reality is that pets don't live our entire lives. Tough call, hard to make not being in the position.

Sounds like you're going for it. :thumb: I doubt you'll be sorry you did it no matter what the results. I hope it all goes well and turns out not to be cancer.

16. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

We spend an average of 2000.00 a year on vets but we take in abused animals that no one else wants.

Just paid 1000.00 a leg to fix our Beagles 2 bad rear ACL's that she got from being thrown down basement stairs repeatedly by her previous owners.

We all view animals from a different perspective, live in different areas, and have varying beliefs. What's right for one individual is not neccessarily right for another.

From my point of view you did the right thing. :waytogo:

17. jekbrown

holy cow, I'm not sure what would make me cry more... my pet dying of something or knowing that I spent enough $ to buy two Dana 60s at the vet trying to prevent it! :grin:

j

18. MarcS

MarcS 1/2 ton status

As long as shes not sufferring, I would get it done to see if its cancer or not. I've blown that much money on stupid things, but this is a pet. At least you will know what your in for. Good luck.

19. paulmoon

paulmoon 1/2 ton status

A minor surgery really. I'd do it. The price is right, and maybe a little time, or at least time without the lump.

20. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

That's what I get for marrying a Crusader. :screwy: :ignore: