Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

surging and faulty acceleration

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by sorryofficer, Jun 23, 2002.

1. sorryofficer

sorryofficer Registered Member

i have a 1987 jimmy and i just rebuilt the engine about 2 weeks ago...it doesnt accelerate very well and sometimes i feel it surging. Anyone have some ideas?

2. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Oh boy, tons of stuff here... Did you rebuild it yourself? Check for vac leaks, a little WD-40 in suspect areas should do the trick (it will change the idle). Watch the throttle blades with it running to be sure they are both getting wet. Did you set the valves. Take off a valve cover and fire it up. Take a 3/8" drive 5/8" socket and hit every rocker arm. You back the nut off until you hear a ticking because its too lose. Then you slowly tighethen it until the ticking stops, then do one half turn beyond that. It will get messy when things get warm, so work fast. A can of brake cleaner should do an excellent job of cleaning up the mess. Did you time it correctly? On the harness of wiring comming out of the fuse panel will be one lonely tan wire with a black stripe that is on the outside of the harness. Make sure that is disconnected when timing it to 0 degrees. Turn the engine off and plug it back in when done.

3. sorryofficer

sorryofficer Registered Member

what are some suspect areas like where would you start?

4. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Take the WD-40, carb cleaner, brake cleaner, or the like and spray it around where the throttle body bolts to the intake, along the sides where the intake bolts to the heads. Check EVERY vac line too, be sure to compare it against the sticker on the front clip.

5. captain chaos

captain chaos 1/2 ton status

did you do any performance mod's to the engine when it was rebuilt?????
    also check you're fuel pressure to make sure you don't have a weak pump. might have been good enough to run you're old tired engine, but now with fresh engine with more power isn't enough.
    just my thought's, lot's of area's to check...

dave