Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Survey: Snow Tires

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Eric, Sep 26, 2000.

1. Eric

Eric Registered Member

Currently run BFG AT KO's for all season tires. Thinking of putting some BFG Mud Terrains on for the winter.

Understand that the AT KO's do not self-clean well in mud.

Which is better in the snow: AT KO or Mud Terrains

One eyed super fly- watch out!
    86 K5 Blazer

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I would think the AT would do better on snowy roads, but the MT would do better in really deep snow. The AT would do better on slick and icy roads.

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com

3. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

The A/Ts will be way better in on-road mix of snow and ice. If you are running trails with deep snow the Mud tires may have an advantage. Mud tires are dangerous on ice.

Tim

1970 Blazer CST 4X4 350 SM465 NP205
    1987 Suburban 4X4 350
    1988 Chevy Pickup 4X4 350

4. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

I agree with Blazer1970.

What I am considering doing is siping some MT's for all-year use since they look so much better and would then be almost an ideal all-year, all-use tire. I would like to hear of somebody's experience with this, though.

'85 JIMMY
    '90 paint/grill/trim 5"susp 33/12.5/16.5
    Fresh 350 B&M '87 TH700

5. Eric

Eric Registered Member

Thanks for the info guys. Looks like my BFG AT KO's will be fine for the winter. Leaves money for other good stuff!!

One last question:
    What about in the sand? BFG AT KO's or BFG Mud Terrains? What tire pressure should be used?

One eyed super fly- watch out!
    86 K5 Blazer

6. Scoobydoo

Scoobydoo 1/2 ton status

Phoenix / Peoria ARIZONA. (75thAve/DeerValley)
    In sand, I bleed them down to between 8 and 12 psi

7. AJMBLAZER

AJMBLAZER Better to be lucky than good. Premium Member

Just thought I would throw this in. Lots of people are confused about tires in the winter, so I think I will clear it up a little. I'm from Michigan, and learned this stuff that hard way. You have to think of the roads in winter like REALLY, REALLY WET summer roads. Deep snow you have to treat like thick mud.
    -AT's are great onroad during the winter and in very light snow, nothing deeper than an inch or three. Snow bonds to itself, so when the little crevices in the AT treads pack up with snow, you are actually getting traction from all the snow in the treads "gripping" the snow on the ground.
    -On ice, AT's are better because they have more tread to get what little traction is available.
    -In deep snow, AT's are no good. Just like if you tried to drive your AT clad truck into a gumbo mud pit. You wouldn't make it very far. No tread to shovel through the snow and toss it out.
    -MT's onroad in the winter are not that great. Not enough tread hitting the road to take advantage of the limited traction. Lots of sliding. I know this from experience.
    -On ice, they are worse than in heavy rain.
    -In deep snow, MT's rock! All the big lugs dig into the snow and toss it out, so you are always getting traction. Kinda like mud, but with less stickiness.
    This is from my personal experiences, but I think it is pretty accurate. Hope this helps.

1992 Blazer Sport, 350 TBI, 4L60, 3" Gibson, K&N, 3" Rancho, 285/75R16 on 16x8 Baja's [​IMG]

8. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

9. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Have had three different sets of BFG A/T's on three different Blazers..........and they overall are a great tire in snow. Facts of snow..........it melts, then usually freezes below the surface, then melts again, etc., and these tires work well on the ice.

<font color=black>'79 - 406 TPI -<font color=orange> K5#5 - <font color=blue>http:// www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com