Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Survey

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by James, Oct 25, 2000.

1. James

James 1/2 ton status

I was told never to use RTV sealant on tranny pan gaskets? Well I have always used RTV sealant. Who does and who doesn't. I was told the tranny fluid eats it up anyways?

2. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I've always done it and never had a problem with it.

90K5

3. k5king

k5king 1/2 ton status

i ALWAYS use lots of schmutz on any gasket!!! i like to know that even if it doesn't make a difference i know that it's there... the best kind i've found to use is the gold stuff!!!it works AWESOME on header gaskets. this stuff has a high temp. tolerance and works great.. the only place that i don't use it is on like intake gaskets and such because the blue goo doesn't show all the dirt and stains as the gold does..

DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT

4. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

Have never used it on tranny pan gasket. Had a 69 corvette that when I bought it trans was leaking out of pan because of R.T.V. If you just snug bolts down evenly you should have no problems. Also use cork gasket not paper, seems cork seal better. Some cheaper no name filters come with paper gaskets.

5. rich'90

rich'90 1/2 ton status

RTV is awesome, I use it for practically everything. My trnasfer case was leaking on a seam. Did not even take it apart, just cleaned it up real well and put some on the outside. Has been like that for ages and not one more leak. If you do use it don't put so much on that it breaks off inside, that is bad.
    Good luck

Go heavy or Go home[​IMG]

6. K2500

K2500 Registered Member

Dont take my sig. into account on this?[​IMG] Using a little RTV to help the gasket seal is good, but use to much and you have the same problem you were trying to cure. It can also go inside what you were sealing and cause all sorts of havoc. I once bought a '79 Trans-am that the knucklheads had used it on the head gaskets.[​IMG] Had cooling problems out the wazzoo. A thin film on the mating surface will help, just dont glob it on.

If it aint leaking it aint mine [​IMG]

7. blazen91

blazen91 1/2 ton status

I personlly don't like to use RTV at all on anything, But I have and do on occation. I would rather have a gasket and a good gasket sealer instead.$.02

blazen91

8. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

RTV all the way. I cant remember the last time I bought a gasket.lol

<font color=blue>Professional <font color=red>JEEP EATER</font color=red>, it's a population control thing.</font color=blue>

9. Stoopalini

Stoopalini 1/2 ton status

the only time I've used RTV sealant was when the molded gasket wasn't available. I've used it on waterpumps and thermostats mainly -- not really anything else.

DMK is correct, if you use the correct gasket and tork the bolts to the proper ft/lbs, it will seal just fine.

Thomas.

-- '84 K5 Blazer --
    http://stoopalini.coloradok5.com/index.html

10. James

James 1/2 ton status

My problem is. I can't remember the last oil pan or tranny pan that I've had being level. After so many changes taken pan on taken pan off. The mounting surface becomes unlevel. It gets to where the gasket is just not thick enough to create a seal for the unlevel surface. Atleast I think that is the problem. Have always torqued bolts to required lbs.??? Still leaks. I don't know about other people. I've take my freaking Tranny pan on and on so many times I hate the mess. Sick and tired of cleaning tranny fluid off the garage floor. I think I'm going to spend some dough and by one with a drain bolt. Do they make a tranny pan with drain bolt?

11. 1HIHUM

1HIHUM 1/2 ton status

Yes they do make pans with drain plugs in them.

12. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

13. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

James,

No RTV on the tranny pan. I use the gasket only. Make sure you torque down bolts evenly and don't over torque any of them. I just changed my tranny pan to a B & M deep pan, not too long ago, no leaks. My old tranny pan, which is still in excellent shape is not warped and has a drain plug (which helps big time when changing fluids). I was going to sell it on Ebay, unless you want it, I'll give it to you for $5. Its for a TH350. Let me know. I can send you pics.
    Boss
    http://www.boss.coloradok5.com

[​IMG]

14. Stoopalini

Stoopalini 1/2 ton status

15. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

16. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

I dont use the RTV on the tranny pan. Use it everywhere else, but not on the tranny pan. When I bought this Blazer the person that had it before me used, now get this, clear tub and tile RTV. The whole thing leaked and some things I think leaked because it was laughing so hard at this guy for using tub and tile RTV. There were gobs of this stuff in everything. The bottom of the engine had chunks in it and partially clogging the oil pickup screen. Use the gasket that comes with the filter. Make sure that the pan sealing surface is flush. Use a small ball peen hammer to get the bolt holes flush. Torque it to spec (12 in lbs) and you wont have any problems. I also use the B & M deep pan. No problems with leaks.

17. Glenn

Glenn Registered Member

RTV is bad. If it goes inside the tranny you are all done.

18. James

James 1/2 ton status

Boss,
    I'm all over that. I have your email address. when I get into work I'll have $ order made up . If u can post your adress or u you prefer to email me its. Jay.Waltersd@cheapseatstravel.com or Jamesdwalters@yahoo.com. Let know what type of delivery is easiest and I'll call that co. for price of shipping.
    Thanks dude