Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Susp info

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Buzz, Apr 30, 2002.

1. Buzz

Buzz Registered Member

Hey all. I know this question gets asked a million times a week (I have read most of em) but I am getting a lift this summer and want to make sure I make the right decision(s) before i commit to it. I drive an 89 k5 silverado with stock susp and tires and want to run 35" wrangler mt's. What, as far as actual parts, do I need to get. I was thinking along the lines of a 4" susp lift with maybe a 4" shackle flip in the rear. What advice do you all have and can u inlcude the specific items I need as well as the general cost for parts. I prob didnt word this as eloquently as needed but it is 12:40 and I haven't had my nap yet. Thanks in advance for your help.

P.S. This site is a great place for learning, I know I have picked up a lot (which isn't saying much since I didn't know shiat before coming here) about 4 wheelin and general info from here and the members here seem to genuinely want to help inform ppl.

P.P.S I'm also thinking about joining up due inpart to the comraudery here. Well I think I wrote a long enough book for tonight/today. Blake

2. morphed86k10

morphed86k10 1/2 ton status

Well, I'll cover this as far as basics.

Front:
    You will need a set of lift springs and longer u-bolts, the kits from ORD run about 215 plus shipping. Add about 60 for a raised steering arm, which you will need with a 4 inch lift.

Optional: greasable bushings ($80ish), longer shackles (about 80), swaybar disconnects (100). None of this stuff is necessary right away, but its all nice to have.

Rear:
    Depending on how much you offroad, a simple 4 inch block will work. But if you go off road blocks lead to axle hop and a general suckfest. Popular alternatives are a 4 inch lift spring for about 330, or a shackle flip (like ORD's...) for about 185 I think. I would take a look at your springs and if they are in good shape, go with the flip, otherwise, get some new springs.

Other:
    You'll need new shocks all the way around. Anywhere from ~30 a piece for cheaper ones to 70-80 for bees-knees adjustable RS9000's to 1K+ for desert type shocks...which I'm pretty sure you're not interested in /forums/images/icons/smile.gif. I know a 4 inch doesn't need new shafts on a truck, and I don't think it is required on a blazer either, but wait for other confirmation on that, otherwise you'll need to lengthen your driveshafts (100-200?). Again, I don't think you'll need to do shafts. A set of longer brakelines should be put on to keep from stretching the stock stuff. Good stainless ones that will work perfectly run about 100 even.

I think that pretty much covers it. Time for bed /forums/images/icons/smile.gif.

3. sarazk5

sarazk5 1/2 ton status

I have the Good Year MT/R's and a 4" lift. I know it isn't common but i did have to lengthen my driveshaft 2" with the 4" lift. My angle was off. I have 4" lift springs in the front, blocks in the rear. To get my angle correct I had to drop my t-case 1" and shim my rear blocks 3 degrees. Then had to have my driveshaft lengthened 2" that with balancing was only 77.00 at the local driveline shop here. I am running Edelbrock IAS shocks for a 4" lift. The only time i had a little rubbing was off road at bassi falls on some big rocks.