Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

suspension + body lift?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by kabarer, Dec 31, 2003.

1. kabarer

kabarer Registered Member

I am a newbie to all things auto. I recently bought a 72 k5 blazer as my first automobile. I always loved the way they looked. My dad and his buddy are doing most of the restoration while I learn, anyway my question is How common is it to have a suspension and a body lift? I dont know how it will look when its done.

any pics would be great also.

thanks.

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Not a 1st gen, but I have lots of pics of my 4" suspension lift with 2" body lift in my webshots /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. kabarer

Yeah thats what I bought a 4 suspension and 2 body. So your saying that a first gen wouldnt look good with that or that It wouldnt work at all?

4. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

It will work just fine....i was just saying i don't have any pics of a 1st gen with this combo. And yes it will look good, the only thing you'll have to do if you don't wanna have the lower bumper look is you'll have to fab up your own brackets to raise the bumpers up to make it look normal or you'll have the body lift gap above the bumpers.

5. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

hes just saying he doesnt have pics of a first gen. Im sure you can find a body lift for your truck.

Nick

6. kabarer

ahh i gotcha now ..thx for the info. I bought a buncha stuff from this guy who gave up on his blazer. One thing was this big black thing with kc lights on it that goes on the front where the bumper goes. Dont know what its called but its gunna look badass. Also have these big black step rails for it too.

7. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Got any pics of the stuff?

8. kabarer

I'll get some tomorrow. My blazers in my dads friends garage so i cant get any of it though.

9. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

:drool: first gen's are cool. Wish I could find one around here that wasn't rotted to sheit! /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

11. kabarer

I live in new england. The only thing rotted really bad on mine is the window frame and the door pillars ...or a pillar as I hear their called. Those are seeming to be VERY hard to find though.

thats the only thing stopping me from having a bitchin ride right now. its very frustrating.

12. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

It's nice to know there's still some of these rare trucks left in new england. Where are you from exactly?

Maybe it's time to fill out your member profile /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

13. kabarer

I live in bedford Mass right now. On Hanscom AFB. Its about a half hour drive from boston. I got the truck for 1800 in Danbury Conn though.

I like to count that 1800$ as my whole summer and about a million whoppers served though.

14. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

need pics i love first gens!! welcome!

suspension and body lifts are quite commen, everyone has a different opinion on them, some people like them for the better tire clearnece some people hate them..me persoanlly i dont have a problem with them..i was going to do a 5" suspension and a 3" body on my truck, but ran out of funds and its now up for sale..but i would do it.but thats just me.

15. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

i never had a problem with both,6in sus and 3in body.i didn't rock crawl though. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif welcome /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

16. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[​IMG]
    Here's mine with 7" suspension and 3" body. This pic was taken shortly after the body lift install and 3/4ton swap. I have since lifted my bumpers 3" to match the body heigth. I can give you a right up on how to lift your bumpers the right way with only a grinder, blow torch, and arc welder.

Body and suspension combos are very common especially with tall trucks. It is a decent and probably cheapest way to gain a few extra inches if you already have your suspension, driveline setup how you wan't it. The only thing about body lifts is getting the bumpers lifted so it doesn't look funny anymore, otherwise it is hard to tell from a distance.

17. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

anything to get that bad ass looking truck in the public eye one more time. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

18. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I think it'd look sweet with 39.5s on those rims, even if it wasn't bashed and hacked. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

19. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    I think it'd look sweet with 39.5s on those rims, even if it wasn't bashed and hacked. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    I thought about it...swapping out my 6" for a 10" superlift plus my 3" body. That would look awesome on 39.5's and be a beast in the mud but I stayed a little more practical. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

20. rjfguitar

Hopefully I will be able to take some pics of my bumper lift job and hopefully some wheeling pics too tomarrow. My buddy is hopefully coming with me tomarrow and he has a digi cam.