Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Suspension Flex Question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Fletch79, Jun 3, 2003.

1. Fletch79

Fletch79 Registered Member

May 14, 2003
    I took an opportunity to play on a friends back-40 today.
    There are a bunch of 3'-4' dirt piles that have been grown over with grass for a couple years.

So, I set about crossing them at different angles.
    Just sort of testing out the truck a bit.
    I dunno how much to trust it as-is.
    Only goofed around for about 30 minutes.

At one point, I gauged that the truck was in a 'cool-picture' position, so I jumped out to look.
    The truck is pretty well bone stock, but I expected the axles to articulate a little.
    They didn't.
    There was barely any discernable 'flex.'
    The whole truck stayed nearly at it's normal ride height, just tipping and swaying with the terrain.

It has 6 leafs in the back, and three in the front.
    Doesn't seem to brake-dive at all, slight body roll on clover-leafed off-ramps (hard to tell 'cause the seats don't hold well), and the bumper doesn't drop a smidge going from empty-tank to full-tank.

What does it need in order to get some flex?
    What are the trade offs?

Those pictures with a leveled body, and one tire in a hole about three feet deep look cool as can be; which means it will probably cost alot.

Help and info appreciated.

2. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Mar 5, 2001

HAHAHAHAHA..... well we've all been there! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Thinking we have a flexy offroad truck (just like all those pictures we've seen) but then when we go to take our own pics, there is something VERY different about the way it looks!!! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

I wouldn't panic right away. If your truck is truly stock, then the front sway bar can be unbolted to free up some flex...after that you'll be playing around with all the same stuff the rest of us have had to deal with....figuring out what is holding back the flex (springs, shocks, bushings) and starting to make the changes....if you choose to.

It may also be that the "angle" you drove into the obstacle at wasn't quite right....sometimes a slightly different approach can make a big difference in the "wow factor" of a picture. If you can find an obstacle where the axles are flexed in opposite ways at the same time....that's almost always a cool pic! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif