Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Suspension Has Arrived!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Waxer, Jul 12, 2000.

1. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

I will begin the install of 4" Tuff Country EZ Rides up front, Replacement Rear leafs from an 88 K5 with Teflon pads and tapered edges, 4" Shackle Flip Kit from ORD, HD Front shackles from ORD, and greasable Polyurethane bushings all around. I'll try to take pics as the process is being completed. Thanks to all you guys I learned what is best for our rigs and what works, so I knew what to order. I'll keep ya informed.

2. chevy4x4

chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

3. Waxer

I'm running 35 BFG Mt's and already have a 2" body lift.

4. 1TUFF89

1TUFF89 1/2 ton status

What brand body lift do you have? Are you happy with the 2 inch lift? Any regrets?

CHEVY - "THE HEARTBEAT IS GETTING LOUDER"

5. MuleMaster

MuleMaster 1/2 ton status

Yup, buddy, let her grow and keep us informed!
    Good luck
    MuleMaster

<font color=blue>K5 Blazer...because size DOES matter
    http://projectmule.coloradok5.com</font color=blue>

6. Waxer

I am extremely happy with the 2" body lift. I used to have a 3+" body lift with worn Rubber body mount bushings. I replaced those with a 2" Body lift kit "Performance Accessories" and a Polyurethane Body mount kit. No regrets, everything is solid now, when before I had all kinds of body flex.

7. SAVAGE1

SAVAGE1 1/2 ton status

Aye Waxer... How much did that whole set up cost you.

BLAZE IT UP!!!

8. Waxer

I bought everything from ORD, the 4" Tuff Country front springs, the HD Front Shackles, The 4" Shackle Flip, Greasable Polyurthane bushings all around for $643.
    The 88 stock rear leafs a friend got for me for $50 from the shop where he works at.

9. 1TUFF89

1TUFF89 1/2 ton status

Do you guys think a 6" suspension lift is better than a 4" suspension lift and a 2" body lift? Just seems like the work almost doubles if you install a 4" lift then a body lift. Why not install a 6" and be done? Anybody have any suggestions about the pros and cons?

10. 89K5

89K5 1/2 ton status

Great question, I'd like to know too.
    I've got a 4" in already. Fender clearance worries me.

Also, if you put a spare, hi-lift jack, 30 gallons of gas....is it better to get an extra 2 inches higher in the back to prevent the sag?

11. 1TUFF89

1TUFF89 1/2 ton status

Yea, what about the sagging in the rear? My dad has a 88 Jimmy and it sits level - no sag in the rear. My 89 front springs are just about straight! I see several lifted blazers that are sagging in the rear. I wouldn't want to take the time and $$ to install a lift just to have the rear end sagging going down the road. What's the solution to a sagging rear end (on a blazer that is)??!!

12. Waxer

The sagging in the rear end is caused by sacked springs (worn springs). The ultimate fix for that is to put new springs on. That can be expensive. Another cheap fix that I have seen is to put an add-a-leaf, which will bring you back up level, but your rig will ride like a tank, like mine DID. Or another one is to put a second overload spring, but either put it upside down so it wont affect the ride, or cut it and it will act like a 3/4" lift block.

13. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Or you could get 5" lift springs instead of 4" for the rear. (if you're going with 4" susp lift ofcourse) Burt4x4 told me that. He runs 4" springs up front and
    5 1/2" springs in the rear. He said it sits almost level. The rear is a tad bit higher, but very hard to notice.
    Boss

14. 89K5

89K5 1/2 ton status

I have 4 inch Skyjacker springs in the rear. Installed July 88, started sagging this spring. Not even two years. If I go higher, I'll get an extra inch or two for the rear. From other posts, it sounds like bigger springs in the rear is the way to go, rather than adding a bodylift.

89K5