Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Suspension Help or Ideas

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by racercrazy, Mar 4, 2002.

1. racercrazy

racercrazy 1/2 ton status

About four years ago, I put a 4" Superlift suspension on my Blazer. Lift included new springs front and rear, shocks front and rear, and pitman arm. After I was done installing the lift, the rear sat about two inches lower than the front. At the time not knowing better, I put two inch blocks in the rear.

Well now I in the middle of replacing everything, meaning the floor from the firewall to the tailgate, rockers, body mount supports, tailgate mount beam (whatever that thing is called) and a new motor.

Well I was thinking about installing the Offroad Design Shackle Flip to replace the blocks, but I am worried that the rear will sit two inches higher. On top of that, I plan on starting to take the top off this summer, making the rear sit up that much higher. Should this be a concern and if it is, without replacing the springs what could be some of my options?

Second question: Since the lift, the damn thing rides like a tank. Meaning a stiff as hell ride. Now the shocks do need to be replaced. They are some Explorer Pro-Comps, don't remember which model or part number. There is four up front and two for the rear. What have you guys had luck with for as shocks for a 4" lift?

Note: A while back I ordered some shocks from Rancho for a 4" lift and they was to short. They were fully extended when the truck was on level ground. I called them about it and they said that those were the right shocks. I think that they will work great for stock Blazer. If someone is interested in them for about $150 for 6 shocks let me know. I paid close to $250 and only installed one and took it back off.

Any opinions or ideas on these would be great. Thank you in advance.

2. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

The ORD shackle flip has two options, a 4" lift and a 2" lift. If I were you, I'd go with the 2" lift and your rear leafs should sit 2" higher, or in your case, level without the blocks. As for the ride, I run one explorer pro comp es3000 shock at each wheel with 4" of lift and 33's. My ride is ok, but stiffer than I'd like off road at slow speeds, fast it rides nice. As for having more than one on each wheel, you should check the model of shock you have. Multi shock applications have special shocks which are extremely soft, this way 2 or 3 together will have the same characteristics as one normal shock. The whole purpose in multi shock setups is to distribute the load across many for heat / fatigue control. Sounds like you have stand alone shocks in a multi shock configuration... thats not to say that the pro comp multi shock kits ride soft either, but they should.

3. racercrazy

racercrazy 1/2 ton status

Thanks for input, I guess I will look into pro comp again.